Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickwgriffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2016
West Coast Florida
Hi
New here and I'm selling my Mid 2010 Mac Pro so that I can get one of the newer models. Could someone please tell me what it's worth with this config. It has a 500 GB SSD. Also the Graphics Card is ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
Thanks in advance
Rick

Model Name:Mac Pro

Model Identifier:MacPro5,1

Processor Name:6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:2.66 GHz

Number of Processors:2

Total Number of Cores:12

L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor):12 MB

Memory:24 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:6.4 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system):1.39f11

SMC Version (processor tray):1.39f11

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
I sold almost the exact system on eBay a few months back. The case was in excellent condition. I put it up for $1229 with $40 shipping and it sold within an hour. Probably could have got $100 more but would have been sitting on it for a few weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291736973871?euid=7486617c3c644528a33c6c521459cf78&cp=1

Super curious but how do you ship something like this? The Mac Pro is SUPER heavy compared to a conventional Windows desktop. Also, isn't the shipping insanely expensive?

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
Agreed that ~$1200+ would be a good price.

Question is why do you want to sell? The dual processor 5,1 can easily be upgraded to be as fast as anything Apple currently makes. The "new" Mac Pro is 3 year old technology and is a horrible value right now. Is there any particular task you need more performance from?

Super curious but how do you ship something like this... Also, isn't the shipping insanely expensive?
Well if you happen to have the original box with packing materials it's no big deal. Otherwise find a box, throw in a bunch of bubble wrap and/or foam. It weighs maybe 50-60 lbs packed, ground shipping ~ $60-$70. Costs a little bit but not insane. I believe "overweight" charges for FedEx/ups don't kick in until 70lbs.

I shipped a Sony FW900 tube monitor, ~100lbs for ~$100 awhile back via FedEx ground. That was a much bigger pain then the Mac Pro.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Super curious but how do you ship something like this? The Mac Pro is SUPER heavy compared to a conventional Windows desktop. Also, isn't the shipping insanely expensive?
I just recently purchased a MacPro from OWC (Woodstock, Illinois). The reason I purchased from them was in large the very reasonable shipping costs plus I knew it would be well packaged and arrive in good condition, add to that a 90 day warranty.
So shipping from Illinois to Vancouver island Canada was $12.99 the rest $33.00 is our canadian PST and GST taxes, still all in all very reasonable.
BTW it did arrive in perfect condition and I'm typing this message on it running Yosemite 10.5.
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 6.24.27 PM.png

rickwgriffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2016
West Coast Florida

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Agreed that ~$1200+ would be a good price.

Question is why do you want to sell? The dual processor 5,1 can easily be upgraded to be as fast as anything Apple currently makes. The "new" Mac Pro is 3 year old technology and is a horrible value right now. Is there any particular task you need more performance from?

This. I think the only reason to get a nMP over upgrading what OP has is if you need faster single-threaded performance, need Thunderbolt connectivity, or need 128GB of RAM. You could upgrade your current machine with dual 6-core 3.33GHz or 3.46GHz processors, max out at 96GB of RAM, and put in a Nvidia graphics card, and that's a competitive machine in modern terms, and definitely better than a nMP if using applications that leverage CUDA.

Shipping a Mac Pro is tricky. Very easy for the legs to get bent in transit. OWC's shipping kit does the job. If I'm selling on eBay I would do everything I could to make sure the thing gets to the buyer in good shape to avoid problems down the road.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/XMCPROCTN/

Reactions: jbarley

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
This. I think the only reason to get a nMP over upgrading what OP has is if you need faster single-threaded performance, need Thunderbolt connectivity, or need 128GB of RAM. You could upgrade your current machine with dual 6-core 3.33GHz or 3.46GHz processors, max out at 96GB of RAM, and put in a Nvidia graphics card, and that's a competitive machine in modern terms, and definitely better than a nMP if using applications that leverage CUDA.

Shipping a Mac Pro is tricky. Very easy for the legs to get bent in transit. OWC's shipping kit does the job. If I'm selling on eBay I would do everything I could to make sure the thing gets to the buyer in good shape to avoid problems down the road.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/XMCPROCTN/

Call me crazy but $50 for a box and styrofoam? Goodness, time to start a new business.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I've shipped dozens of Mac Pros without incident and it is indeed tricky without the original box. In my experience the nested box method works best: First wrap the tower in a few layers of 1/2 inch bubble wrap, taking care to add a few extra wraps between the handles so they aren't protruding. Then place the wrapped tower in a tight fitting box. It should be snug enough to prevent any movement. Tape the box closed leaving the tape ends folded over themselves so the buyer has "tags" to pull on and remove the tape.

Next, pack the box in a box large enough to leave a gap of at least 4 inches on all 6 sides. Fill the gap with styrofoam peanuts (real styrofoam, not starch as it compresses to easily). Stuff 'em in there tight so they won't settle and leave gaps. Then tape it up like a madman. Remember, packing tape is cheaper than a box that splits open when falls off a truck.

I've also tried reinforcing boxes with two by fours, but that is a lot more work and I think the heavier box is more likely to be dropped and split open.

The bubble wrap, peanuts, and two boxes will be expensive if you have to buy them at some place like UPS. When I first saw OEM Mac Pro boxes selling on eBay for over $50 I thought buyers were crazy, but after pricing out the packing supplies that $50 seemed like a fair price. I buy all the supplies in bulk so that changes the equation.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Call me crazy but $50 for a box and styrofoam? Goodness, time to start a new business.
There is no Styrofoam in an OWC shipping kit, I'm not sure what it is called but I am sure it is not Styrofoam.
It has an almost rubber like feel to it, it is very stiff and strong. I tried but could not break the pieces as you can with Styrofoam, I ended up using a handsaw to reduce the packing pieces to fit into our recycle bin.

Reactions: Baunkjaer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.