what is this module?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chinhiphone, Feb 4, 2011.

1. chinhiphone macrumors regular

what is this chipset that those wires are connecting to? i was working on on my caddy with my hand slipped and caught the wire and broke off a soldering point. ima need to replace it

this is a 2010 macbook pro i7

Attached Files:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its not soldered, its just clipped on.

Those are the wireless and bluetooth antenna wires.

3. chinhiphone thread starter macrumors regular

i know the wires just clip on. but the point at where the wire clips onto is broken and stuck inside the wire.

i am just wondering what that module is and if i need to replace it. does that wire conduct anything to that board? my bluetooth and wifi still work or does that wire just clip down onto a point so its nice and neat?

thanks

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It may just be an earthing point to the chassis. I agree it looks like part of the BT/Wireless so it`s odd it still works fine.
    I would definitely try to get it reattached as it my cause problems in the future.
    You handy with a soldering iron??

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

its an antenna, your wifi/bluetooth performance is going to be crap if you don't get it back on there. its like trying to listen to FM radio with a broken off antenna.
    if it is one of the wifi antennas and not the bluetooth antenna you will still have some performance as it will have the other antenna to use, but it will still be a lot slower.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

From the picture, it looks fine. You don't need to replace it.