What is this mysterious '?' for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ritmomundo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

On every finder window I open, I've got a big question mark next to the spotlight search. If I click on it, I get a "The item can't be found" error message. What is this, and how do I get rid of it?!?

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right click on the area near it and go to customize toolbar and then drag the question mark off into the drop out menu and that should get rid of it. It was probably a button related to some software you had once and is probably gone now.

3. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Strange, I tried that very thing before, and it didn't work. I tried it again after reading your post, and it worked! I have no clue what could've been installed there, I don't remember installing/uninstalling anything recently. Anyways, whatever, problem solved. Thanks!

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is a space where you can drag folders and files, that will create an alias/shortcut. I suspect that you accidentally placed a file or folder there which created the alias, and then deleted the file itself. Hence the question mark.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

lol, this is possible... I do have a tendency to click and move things accidentally...

thanks!