What is this new icon in my System Preferences?

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Today when I opened my system preferences, there is a new preference. It's under Hardware and it's called "Ink". It appears to be for handwriting recognition.

I don't think I've installed anything very recently. Have no idea how it got there... anyone?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
That normally shows up when you hook up a Wacom (or other brand) digitizer tablet. It's the preferences for OS X's built in handwriting recognition. I have no idea why it may have showed up for you if you didn't connect a tablet.

BTW, nice to see another Salt Lake person on here (there are a few of us around).

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
mduser63 said:
That normally shows up when you hook up a Wacom (or other brand) digitizer tablet. It's the preferences for OS X's built in handwriting recognition. I have no idea why it may have showed up for you if you didn't connect a tablet.

BTW, nice to see another Salt Lake person on here (there are a few of us around).
Very strange...

And yea! Salt Lake Represent... I'm not technically from Salt Lake though, it's just where I'm going to school. Right now I'm on my way home to Niagara Falls, NY for the summer. I'm in Illinois tonight and I already miss Salt Lake. During the whole drive home, so far I haven't seen anyplace better.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
crazydreaming said:
Right now I'm on my way home to Niagara Falls, NY for the summer.
Cool...I'm from Buffalo (Amherst, actually), now living out in San Francisco. I'm heading back to visit my parents in a couple of days. I'll be flying though. :D

That's definitely weird about the Ink preference pane...I've never heard of it showing up without having plugged in a tablet.