What is this new OS 4.0.2 and should I install it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bababoey14, Aug 18, 2010.

1. bababoey14 macrumors regular

How come no threads about this...I have 4.0.1 and now my bars suck....kinda scared to upgrade again. What are the major changes with the new system???

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Search

4.0.1 changed how you phone displayed bars (not actual reception)

4.0.2 patches the PDF vulnerability that allowed jailbreakme to operate.

Don't upgrade if your jailbroken.

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

This is important. If you plan to jailbreak or have already jailbroken your phone, DO NOT UPGRADE TO 4.0.2. It does nothing except fix a security hole used to jailbreak, which you can fix yourself by downloading a package in Cydia if you're jailbroken.

5. bababoey14 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I install 4.0.2 I can never jailbreak my phone???

I thought jailbreaking was deemed legal...how can apple prevent you from doing it???

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

they're not preventing you from jailbreaking

they're preventing you from using a PDF security exploit that allows the phone to be jailbroken through jailbreakme.com

7. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

All it means is that you cannot be prosecuted for having a jail broken phone.

However, the iPhone 4 is still a Apple product, and they can do whatever they please with it. So they can patch jailbreak exploits as well as void your warranty.

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

There are no jailbreak exploits in use for 4.0.2. The Dev-Team will wait until after software update iOS 4.1 is released in a few weeks to make a new jailbreak for it.

9. celticpride678

If you have an iPhone 3G, then you'll still be able to jailbreak. However, if you have any other device, you'll have to wait for the Dev Team to release a new jailbreak when iOS 4.1 is released.

The iPhone 4 is still made by Apple and they can choose what control users have with it. Jailbreaking will still void your warranty, but you won't get arrested for having a jailbroken device (not that you were going to before).

10. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'd say do some reading up on jailbreaking and decide if it's for you.

If it is, then don't upgrade to 4.0.2, but rather jailbreak using jailbreakme.com and then patch the exploit via the patch by Saurik in Cydia. This will keep malware authors from exploiting that same hole to your phone's detriment.

If after some research you decide that jailbreaking isn't for you, go ahead and upgrade to 4.0.2, it will make your phone more secure from potential malware. You will most likely be able to jailbreak sometime in the future (probably a little after 4.1 is released) if you pass it up for now.

What you probably shouldn't do is keep your phone on 4.0.1 without jailbreaking and patching.