What is this part called, and can it be bought?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fenjen, Aug 17, 2013.

1. fenjen, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Hi guys,

I've damaged a part (which you can see in the attached pics) in my 2012 Macbook Pro and would like to replace it. Does anyone know where I could find this part?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Where's it from?

3. fenjen, Aug 17, 2013

fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

It's placed just under the ram. It serves as a conductor.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Isn't this the thing that goes in after you put a hard drive in to hold it?

2:36 hes unscrewing it

5. fenjen, Aug 17, 2013

fenjen

No, as I said, it's placed right under the ram.

Attached Files:

6. prisstratton macrumors 6502a

prisstratton

This site has some extensive "take apart" guides, including one for your model.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com

I did watch the video in the link (below), but they do not actually name the part that you are referring to. However, I think you should talk to these people as they should know the part name and maybe they can even supply it.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=210&comments=all

7. fenjen, Aug 17, 2013

fenjen

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

good luck! I have nothing but good things to say about powerbook medic. They are where I get all my mac parts.

9. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

Haven't got a reply yet (as it is sunday) but I just wanted to thank you guys for the positive comments :)

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Still wondering myself. Honestly, it just looks like a spacer or a ground contact from that part of the MacBook. Shouldn't cause any problems if left out if it is just a spacer, but I wonder where you could buy a new one. Likely you could find it on a new top case off of ebay or somewhere.
    Edit: also, how have you damaged the said part? Your picture looks fine to me but I'm not sure what would break it.

11. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

I grabbed that picture off of the internet. Mine made a strange sound every time the computer heated so I thought I fastening the screws would help, but it turned out the plastic was kind of weak so I broke it :(

Also I'm not really sure what you mean by spacer, but as far as I know it's used to conduct currents from within the computer to the case (for some reason, I dunno, I read it somewhere).
    Also it's actually connected to the inside of the computer and not the bottom case so I don't think it will come with a new case :(

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

A spacer as in something to fill an extra few MMs to give structural support, et cetera. If it is conducting currents from the computer to the case it would likely be grounding it out...
    A new top case is the aluminum part with the keyboard, trackpad and such. So maybe it would be connected, maybe it wouldn't (I'd have to find some pics). Either way a new top case would set you back some $$. Sorry I can't help any more... :(

13. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

Hmm I think that's gonna be a little over my budget ^^''
    Thanks for the reply though!

14. c1phr macrumors 6502

It is the ground contact for the case (though I don't know the official name) and they almost all make noise due to the springs inside. Sorry to hear that yours broke though, and hopefully you'll be able to get it replaced somehow!

Though you might even be able to just attach some wire and form that ground yourself? Apple probably won't like it if you try to take it in for service, but it might work.