What is this red line on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by easy-mac, Oct 1, 2010.

1. easy-mac macrumors member

Hello all!

For about the last month or so I've been having an interesting problem with my MBP. A short red line, exactly 1/2" long and 1/2" to the right of the iSight at the very top of my screen will appear randomly on my screen. The line will flicker, sometimes it will be bright red, other times extremely faint, and still other times it won't be there at all.

On my previous MBP (the one Apple so graciously replaced with this one in July after it gave up the ghost under AppleCare) I had a faulty display connector and the screen would develop a vertical red line all the way down that would go away if you opened and closed the clamshell. However, that's not the case with this line. It seems like I can open and close the clamshell all I want and it makes no difference, the line will come and go almost randomly.

It's not a huge inconvenience to me as it typically is too faint to see, but lately it's been occurring more frequently and is getting brighter. I'm a little hesitant to take it in to the Genius Bar because of their history of creating new problems when they try to fix them (ie, they replaced my logic board instead of giving me a new display cable, which then led to major sleep problems and a HD crash (could have been a coincidence), along with a number of other issues, but hey, I got a new computer out of it). If it matters, the MBP is the current generation 15" 2.66 i7 with the GT 330M GPU along with Intel HD integrated graphics and the 1680x1050 display. A quick check of the system profiler shows that I'm using the nvidia card, even though the only running program is currently system profiler.

So has anyone ever seen something like this or know what it may be? Like I said, I'd prefer to know something before I go to Apple since I'm not sure they always know what they're doing.

EDIT: Just checked and I didn't have automatic graphic switching enabled, but the line is there regardless of the graphics card being used, so it's not a problem with the GPU, which was pretty obvious.

Attached Files:

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Dead/stuck pixels, you might want to try warranty.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That looks like a damaged/defective display. Take it in and get it fixed.