What is this running at startup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squeezy, Jun 17, 2007.

1. squeezy macrumors member

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

A simple search would of told you it was a Compression tool. However, why it is using that much power, I'm not sure.

3. squeezy thread starter macrumors member

I searched that, and found just that. What it doesn't explain is why it's on my Mac (I never downloaded, or even heard of it). Why it loads on startup, and only for 10 seconds or so, then it's gone.

I was hoping someone here could help me.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If that's what you're showing right at startup, I'm wondering why your page in/out count is so high.

In any case, look in System Preferences:Accounts:Login Items. If it shows up there, highlight it, and click the minus button at the bottom to remove it from the startup for your login.

If it doesn't appear, we have to look elsewhere.

Attached Files:

5. squeezy thread starter macrumors member

That was actually after a logout. It appears that it isn't loading now. I've seen it more than once. So it seems to be an on and off thing now.

It's not in my login items, and spotlight doesn't show anything for it. I'm a little concerned.

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I would assume it's built-in, and is probably a system utility. Whenever you archive something, it's probably used, as you can archive from the contextual menu.

There are lots of things the run in the background, and that is probably just one of them.

7. squeezy thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean exactly when you say archive something?

8. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

If you right click a file in the finder a little menu will pop up and one of the options will be "Create Archive"... that compresses the file and creates a new file, usually with the extension ".zip". The file is then smaller, and easier to send somewhere else.

9. squeezy thread starter macrumors member

I thought so, but wasn't sure. Anyway, I've never done that before for anything.

10. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

That shouldn't matter if it's a background process that is meant to run on login. It'll always start up and then stay dormant in the background. I doubt it's going to cause issues.