What is this shape called?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by FourCandles, Nov 4, 2010.

  1. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

    Feb 10, 2009
    I need look into the usage of a particular shape/design, and I really need to know what it’s called - if it has a name - before I can even search for it.

    Here’s a quick sketch:


    So, it’s formed from a circle, and overlaid with a square with the length of the sides equal to the radius of the circle, so that the corner of the square is at the centre of the circle.

    However, It’s not in any of the lists of geometric shapes that I’ve seen, maybe because it’s not a geometric shape with an equation to produce it.

    Does anyone know if there’s a name for this shape? Many thanks.
  2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

    Oct 13, 2008
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I am not sure what its proper name is, but it has quite a history!

    I am thinking of the whole "new quark" logo that had to be changed because of copyright infringement issues:

  3. FourCandles thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Feb 10, 2009
    That's a great link, I see there's lots of other usage of the shape and its derivatives in the article too. Many thanks.
  4. eellingb macrumors newbie

    Jul 20, 2009
    The closest I could figure is a teardrop, though the point isn't up on your example.
  5. manueld macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2009
  6. autacraft Guest

    no idea what its called, but have lots of derivatives (including this actual shape itself) in illustrator if anyone wants.

    PM me
  7. FourCandles thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Feb 10, 2009
    I think technically the teardrop is a different mathematical shape - see here for the equation - and I don’t think you can have a value of m in that equation that will give the perfectly straight sides (as you can gather I’ve re-learnt a lot of geometry just recently!). But thanks for the replies.

    Thanks - I've created it OK, but that's then triggered the questions about prior usage that prompted my thread.
  8. autacraft Guest

    There is an equation you can use to create this shape, but I'll leave the working out to you ;-)

    Heres a diagram that will help!

    Attached Files:

  9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040


    Oct 12, 2005
  10. SidBala macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know anything about illustrator. But I know about math.

    You can make this curve from multiple piecewise curves. Basically a 3/4th circle and 2 lines.

    Yeah you figure out those equations ;)
  11. SChristy macrumors newbie

    Nov 4, 2010
    I've searched wikipedia but I couldn't find anything looking like this...Actually I think that there is not an official name for this shape.The only information I was able to find is just the mathematical way you can shape it.I hope I helped you a bit:)

    Click here
  12. chrono1081 macrumors 604


    Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    Pfft! Maple will figure it out for me! (I don't know enough math to use Mathematica :p )
  13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2010
    Why even that? A simple pen and paper + 2000 year old math is enough to do this.
  14. boobook macrumors newbie

    Jan 15, 2018
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2018 ---
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2018 ---
    somewhat belatedly...a teardrop shape is 'lachrymaform'...

Share This Page