What is this technique called?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Xander562, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I want to know what the technique is called in this video. I've seen it used in a lot of things. I want to learn how to do it myself and to do that I need to know what it's called.

The part I am talking about comes with the "Family", "Discovery", and "Cool" clips of this video. the parts where the subject stand out from the background as if they are in some kind of sudo-3D animation.

I'll hunt for more examples.

http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest200611/spicyapple1.html

2. svenn macrumors 6502

3. FroColin macrumors regular

Oh separating the background from the foreground. Not sure what it's called but here is a link to a good tutorial on the subject
    http://library.creativecow.net/fuller_mathew/AE_Advanced-2-5D-Animation/1
    There might be a not advanced one if you want, I just remembered this one from a while back and thought it was a useful tutorial if you don't really know what to do. It's for after effects btw but the concept will apply to anything

4. simsaladimbamba

They masked the single elements of the photos and put them into different layers, which then could be independently scaled.

See below for a crude layer division.
    [​IMG]

Btw, did you mean "pseudo" with "sudo"?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's commonly referred to as 2.5D or "The Kid Stays in the Picture" effect.

Lethal

6. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

CBA to read thw whole thread, so someone might already have answered.

It's actually quite easy..;

Make a copy of the subject you want to stand out, by pathing around him/her/it... hide that layer.
    Then make a copy of the original layer and start retouching the subject out, so it appears that the subject was never there.
    Bring back your subject cutout.

Now you can move the two around as you please, or in other words, create a zoom-pan effect like the one in the video.
    This is done in After Effects... I can't remember if you can make a simple version in PS by now, but atleast AE can.

Have fun :)

7. gameface macrumors 6502

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

9. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Very cool tutorials here. Is there a low-cost alternative to doing these type of effects? Sort of a GIMP of Motion Graphics? (I can't afford After Effects or Final Cut Studio/Motion at the moment.)