What is this? Virus?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by david401, Dec 27, 2014.

1. david401 macrumors member

Was just playing some league of legends and when the game ended I came back to the desktop with this little popup.

http://i.imgur.com/UCcvltO.png

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The atos tool is part of OS X developer tools.
    It appears to be triggered by calls for debugging, likely because of a partial crash. In your case, it may be because of some incompatibility with the game that you are using, and Yosemite. Check with the game developer to see if there is a patch for Yosemite, or some other recent update that might help.

If you search for "atos needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue", you'll see more info. It's some change in Yosemite. It's first mentioned with the Bento app, which is no longer usable with Yosemite.
    It may also be a function used with certain file-sharing apps. Hard to say really, other than some app will trigger that debugging window.
    From what I read, it may be just appearance, and you can safely cancel out the window (or maybe accept it and let it disappear, or error out), but doesn't really seem to affect anything else. Your best bet is to watch for the window, and note what you were just doing, launching or quitting some app. Check with the app developer for possible updates for better support with Yosemite.