What is this white thing and plastic thing in the ipod box?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iOrlando, Aug 9, 2008.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

opened up the box for ipod touch...there is this white stand-like thing and a plastic clip..anyone have a link to what this is used for or how it is used for? did a quick seearch on youtube and such..people dont talk about it.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Are you by any chance describing the iPod Universal Dock adapter?

[​IMG]

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The white thing (see above post) is the adapter for the universal dock.

The clear plastic thing is a stand.

4. Ultra54 macrumors newbie

So what is a universal dock adapter? Still can't figure out what to do with it.

5. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

The universal dock is a dock for pretty much anything with a dock connector. I also believe that some other accessories, like cars ;), have that same connection. However, the different iPod/iPhone models over the years have slightly different shapes. So you put the dock adapter into the universal dock, and then your iPhone neatly fits.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You put it in a Universal Dock. It makes it so that your far thinner iPod does not wobble and break off the Dock Connector.

7. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

interesting....any of you go and buy a power charger that can actually use a wall outlet? I mean say i am at a hotel without a mac..how can i charge this thing..

8. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

I've had the Apple one it works good but it is a little overpriced

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

On a related note, does anyone know whether the old FireWire iPod wall charger works with an iPhone?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm not positive that it works with the 3G (pretty sure it doesn't), but it works with the first-gen for charging only.

11. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

I just use a universal USB wall charger. They can be bought for next to nothing and charge just about anything that uses a USB port. You do have to remember to take the cable with ya.

Like..
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Apple-iPod-USB-Charger/dp/B000JLG5ZY

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The old Firewire chargers work just fine on the Touch. I have been using the one that came with my 1G 10GB iPhone 6 years ago to charge every iPod I've owned since. ;)

But it does appear that the iPhone 3G is not compatible with the Firewire chargers. You will have no problems charging any iPod to date with one though.

13. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

ipod touch..how do you connect it correctly

real basic here...i have ipod touch...it seems everytime i try to connect it to itunes..it says it cant read it the first time..

my question is waht is the proper way of connecting it? do you plug the usb cable first and then connect the ipod to the cable?

Also..just got the touch..but it said i had to do a restore...is this common? luckily i only had 2 cds on it..but what if i had all this media on it and apps..all of these would have to be erased ? ...has this happened to people? any way of avoiding it?

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well mine's actually a Touch so it looks like that'll work :)

15. iRondo macrumors member

The clear plastic stand is also quite nifty in that you can plug the end of the cable into it's side so you don't lose it and it protects the cable connector! One of Apple's biggest innovations, I feel! They probably won't even include them with future Touch generations...

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Unfortunately, my Touch no longer fits into the stand in the protective silicon case I bought for it.

In the meantime, while we're on the topic I saw this cool rumor about a possible new iPhone/Touch dock that would take your cable connector protector to the next level. (assuming that's not just the patent filing for the current stand and TUAW is off its rocker) ;)

17. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

so it looks like amazon offers alot of chargers and packages including car chargers and such..but they are so cheap...like under $4.00. Is this normal? That seems very inexpensive. anyone buy one of these? where you get a few different accessories..how about covers..anyone have alink to a good cover?

18. iRondo macrumors member

That patent is clearly for the existing one. Patents can take months/years to come through.

19. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

OK, it does seem to be that way actually considering there is no indication of any power source.

I guess sometimes over at TUAW when the news gets slow they try to make some.

20. dontdispink macrumors newbie

hey guys, last christmas i got an iphone 3g s and in the box came this weird white case thing (see attached photos)
    any idea what its for?? i have never used it because i dont know what to do with it.

Attached Files:

21. funwithamar macrumors regular

lol

22. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

It's simply what the iPod is shipped in. Consider it the packaging. ;)

23. FallenAnjel macrumors member

I bought a wall charger w/ a removeable usb cord. I love it. I always charge my iTouch in the wall, partly because I use it as an alarm clock, so I plug it in next to the bed.

I have a Griffin brand Powerblock. There are cheaper ones, but a lot of times the cheaper ones do not have the squeeze release clips on the iTouch/iPhone side and the depth of that end is less. If you have a larger case/cover or an otterbox it's hard to get the plug out without just yanking it out by the cord and what a better way to ruin a plug than to pull it by the cord and not the end? Then you'll end up buying enough to equal the price of the more expensive one anyway.

The website lists it for $30, I bought mine for about $23-25 at Best Buy. You could prob. find it cheaper on Ebay.

This is what I have:

[​IMG]

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerblock#

oh and the prongs fold in for better storage, and the usb cord is removable from the block itself.

24. FallenAnjel macrumors member

That wasn't very nice. :confused:

25. Blackened macrumors regular

$3 on ebay