What is this Win7 Refurb COA and can I use it on another computer?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kingcodez, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I bought a Lenovo x200 for a throw away computer to use with Ubuntu, and after messing around with putting in a SSD I noticed there were two Win 7 COA stickers. The first is a genuine COA, Win 7 Pro, Lenovo Singapore. The second is a brown Win 7 Pro for Refurb PCs, says OEM Software. There is no COA number, just a barcode with a short number, and some xxx-xxxxx number, both are similar to the Genuine COA sticker. I also have a Win 7 Pro 64 bit Refurb disc that came with the computer. Everything looks legit.

I did some google-fu, but my question is can this item be used on a completely different random computer, and/or multiple times if I wanted to? I read something about the key being tied to the disc, or the key to the computer, etc., but no one asking my specific question.

Also, if I go to a flea market and find a Win 7 COA sticker and buy it, is it a universal key in the sense that I could use it on a computer, or in Parallels for a VM/Bootcamp?

Edit: Just noticed that the xxx-xxxxx keys on the stickers are not the same as the key printed on the holographic portion of the install DVD.

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

No. All OEM versions of Windows are tied to the original computer they were purchased for/with.

You will need to purchase a retail copy of Windows to install it legally. No COA can be "transferred" unless you purchased the OEM copy new and assigned it to your hardware.