What is this!?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
It's a system process. Not quite sure what it does, but I'm pretty sure it's important.

And yes, you probably should update to 10.4.10. Nothing wrong with being up to date.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It's a system process.
It's actually THE system process--if you look at the hierarchical view, you'll notice that it is process ID 0, and it's at the very top of the tree--the kernel is the "core" of the OS.

I haven't heard any commplaints about volume in 10.4.10, and none of the computers I've installed it on (G5 tower, MPB, two Intel iMacs, several older G4s) have had any problems at all, certainly not with the sound output.

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
It's actually THE system process--if you look at the hierarchical view, you'll notice that it is process ID 0, and it's at the very top of the tree--the kernel is the "core" of the OS.

I haven't heard any commplaints about volume in 10.4.10, and none of the computers I've installed it on (G5 tower, MPB, two Intel iMacs, several older G4s) have had any problems at all, certainly not with the sound output.
Where there any problems, period?

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Where there any problems, period?
Not on any of the computers I've installed it on. I believe some people had an issue where after a system beep the sound would make a little "pop", but Apple released a little audio update to fix it, and I think they've fixed it in the update itself since then.

That's all I'm aware of, anyway. You can always scan MacFixIt if you're worried about an update--if there's something going on, they'll report it.

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
Well, I updated, and my volume is messed up.

Yesterday night, I could hear just fine with one little bubble.

Now, I can't hear it at all. Indeed.