What Is This!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by shady825, Dec 16, 2008.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Well last night I broke down and bought a new Canon SLR.
    I get home and the 2nd picture I take was outside with a 30 second exposure.
    You can see something green in the upper right. I know its nothing on the camera because you can clearly see its emitting its own light. You can see a globe around it and if you look closely it has a trail coming off it as well.
    Im in Arizona and I HAVE seen green shooting stars before. They are quite common out here. Although when i took this picture i was watching the sky and never saw anything with my naked eye...
    What do you guys think???

I had to upload the photo in photobucket so it may have lost some quality. If anyone is REALLY interested i can mail you the original untouched photograph.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I'm guessing it's a lens flare from the streetlamp.... that, or maybe santa.

3. rost12 macrumors member

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

UFO!!! lol jk looks like a lens flare to me....I get a lot of weird stuff like that when shooting long exposure shots, especially when there are lights involved!

5. Foxtrot Oscar macrumors member

Lens flare.... Hmmm sure why not either that or a green light speed traveling P51.

Also have an XS - 1000D. It's the dogs dangly bits!

Fox

6. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Its not lens flare! on the actual pic you can see this thing is emitting its own light!!
    I took a few more pics (without moving the tripod) and this didnt show up on any of the other pics!

i dont know... maybe you guys are right

7. Apple Architect macrumors regular

Lens Flare

Its lens flare.

Case Closed.

The truth is out there (just not on this photo).

8. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Would lens flare make it look like it is emitting its own light?? Thats whats confusing me..

9. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket... and refracted the light from Venus... ...On a more personal note, Edgar ran off with an old girlfriend. You'll go stay with your mom a couple nights. You'll get over it and decide you're better off.
    [​IMG]

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Classic case of lens flare. Yes, that's exactly what it would look like. Lens flares are a result of light being `trapped' in between the different lenses. Depending on the angle of incidence and the lens you have, you can get anything from `haze' to the type of localized flare you can see in your picture.

They can be more visible in long-term exposures.

11. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

The thing thats confusing is i took multiple shots. I never moved the tripod or camera. That only showed up on one shot. If it were lens flare wouldnt it happen everytime since the camera was in the same position each time?

12. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Moving the camera fractions of a mm suffices to get rid of them (e. g. when you push the shutter release).

13. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Well i just looked up lens flare on google images. NONE of them look like this pic. In my pic you can see a trail coming off whatever it is

But ok, ok, If you guys just think its lens flare then we can leave it at that!

14. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Really? How about this one:
    [​IMG]
    The yellow one looks similar to the one you have. If you draw a line between the lens flare point and the light source, you can see that its tail lines up exactly. Meaning that the street lamp is the source of the lens flare.

15. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Ok sorry guys! Im new to photography (with a SLR) and just kinda got excited! :)

Thanks

16. GT41 macrumors regular

That is totally a UFO. :D

17. wheelhot macrumors 68020

oh someone quick play the X-Files theme song!!!!

Its a freakin UFO (unorganized fluffy object)!! LOL :D

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I just love that there's a trailer home in this pic. "Just don't let them extry-tershstuls try any funny business on ya!" (If they bust out anything that looks like a probe, politely decline.) :eek::D

19. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea im staying with my grandpa for a little while. He has a RV.. That "trailer home" is my neighbor! haha

20. flinch13 macrumors regular

It's lens flare

Dude, I promise you it's lens flare. There are many kinds, and this seems to be coming from a reasonable angle from that streetlight. I've had lens flare like this before. You need to reposition your camera to get rid of this sort of stuff.

21. termina3 macrumors 65816

22. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

OK thanks everyone! Sorry i got a little excited over nothing i guess!