What is this?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by completeidiot23, Dec 17, 2009.

1. completeidiot23 macrumors member

Hey,

I was looking at old macs, and seen this.

What is this external thing connected to this mac?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

3. completeidiot23 thread starter macrumors member

cool thanks man, was bugging me for a while.

I use wikipedia list of discontinued apple products, to find about old apple stuff, but that's not on there.

cheers,

4. Queso macrumors G4

That brings back memories. My first Mac was a Performa 630CD :)

5. MacTech68, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Funny enough, I have one sitting again a box under my desk, don't ask why, its just there!

My TAM came with a black/dark grey version.

7. completeidiot23 thread starter macrumors member

explains why it isn't on that wikipedia page then

thanks guys really helpful

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i connected my first computer ok it was my dad`s , back then these things did cost a fortune so nothing you could buy from your pocketmoney :(
    no it was not a apple , it was a commodore pet 2001 (no it was not build 2001)that was 30 years ago
    to something else then a modem to send eMails ,opening a website (the few things that you could call websitesby today standards) that did exist back then took to long to open up and as you did pay per minute and normal call charges it was a really expensive thing to send a email
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. MacTech68, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Egad! :eek: I remember 'ye olde Modem Coupler'

Damned slow and unreliable. Compared to today's standard, when we talk of a 56K modem, these things were 0.300K

Thank god technology moved forward. :D
    ________
    Carol

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i remember i could even chat with people on boards , but it was basically more like here when a response can take a bit of time , the big difference today i can watch the forum here all day long and do not pay even half what back then would have cost me a minute !!!, over sea calls did cost a lot per minute ,
    not to mention that sometimes data got lost in between so it could take couple connections before i got a stable connection and received all data and even simple household appliences like a hoover could cause a interruption
    and some people now complain when they dont get the full speed
    of their flat rate 10mbit line and have to live with 8mbit instead
    give them a acoustic coupler for a month and let them pay per minute again, downloading a simple youtube film could take a couple days with all the interruptions you get , not to mention the cost and they appreciate every bit they can get in future :D
    but it still was a great time

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Cool - the black ones are rare...

I have the white ones... (sniff, sniff...)

I was laughing when people found out that Apple was taking out the modems from their Macs and making available the external USB ones. But they were just going back to the way things used to be... ;)

12. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I think I have a couple of these little things in the garage some place, I never had really good luck with the stupid things.

13. Buzz Bumble Guest

I have one plugged into my beige PowerMac G3. I occasionally use it. I would be using it everyday, but thanks to hopeless idiots at Vodafone, it can only connect to the Internet if I make an expensive charged-per-minute long-distance phone call to another city's local dial-up number, which means I'm instead forced to use this ancient Windows PC for my Internet. :(

I have just installed Mac OS X 10.1 on the PowerMac, which means I can now use my own local dial-up number again, but it's a bit flakey and slower than when using Mac OS 9.