What is thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iOS v Android, Apr 30, 2011.

1. iOS v Android macrumors member

What is thunderbolt what is the speed of it? What is the bandwith of it and most importantly who support it or will be supporting it.

2. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

the mini display port connection on the side of a mbpro is also an input -output for the new thunderbolt tec,ie it does both,thunderbolt has an input output rated at 10 gbp/s[theoretical] and can be daisy chained with up to 6 devices,including multiple monitors, so its another way for you to connect a hdrive [external]monitor,or other peripheral with said connection,

at the moment products are only just emerging with this new form of connection,however,as in the future more will be,since it far exceeds usb 1,2,or 3 i/o speeds,

it is on the new issue of mbpros so far,probably will come on new issue of imacs too when they come shortly,

its like usb but kills it for speed,and has a different adapter[ie mini display port]on macs with it,

it will means backups could takes minutes instead of hours,
    so far as i know anyway,i havent used it yet,cos not a lot of stuff is developed for it bar a few external drives ive heard of.but they will come.:rolleyes:

3. iOS v Android thread starter macrumors member

Is this only going to found on apple computers. And when you said multiple displays does it allow for technological like ATI eyefinity or is it just duplicate monitors.

4. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

hopefully it won't be bound to apple once it starts taking off a bit more. it will be a while though, as the peripheral has just been introduced

5. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi mate,its a fair question youve asked,

id say yes you probably could do twin monitors with it,im not 100% but i have read its perfect for multiple monitors because of the input/output speed is so fast,it will not lag,but,im no expert,so i suggest you find some tech articles on it around the net,and have a read of them to find out more,apple website would have a run down on it too id imagine.

there are plenty of articles on tech websites on it,frankly,its quite exciting the possibilities of this new tech,

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx