What is Toast8 for??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mikebike125, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I have Popcorn, Mac the ripper and Handbrake and they seem to do just about everything. What then can I use Toast 8 for??

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Toast gives you more advanced CD burning options than the ones built-into Mac OS X, should you need them.

Although I find Disk Utility to be just fine.

3. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's for burning files - it really isn't something you should worry yourself about unless you have a specific need for it.

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Toast 8 is great, makes burning a music cd, data disc or film to dvd really easy, similar to nero for windows peecee's :D

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...saying that Toast is for "burning files - it really isn't something you should worry yourself about unless you have a specific need for it" is not a very responsible comment to make. Really - *any* pgm that writes to cd/dvd media is simply "burning files."

If you are looking for something that offers much more versatility, options and cross-platform compatibility when working with cd's and dvd's - both audio, video and data - then look at Toast, if the built in (or other freeware tools) do what you want then don't worry be happy....oh yeah!

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Toast 8 can burn (assuming compatible hardware): CD, DVD, DVD DL, BluRay, and BluRay DL in the following ways: Data (Mac only, Mac & PC, UDF (DVD only I think?), ISO 9660, Photo Disc), Audio (audio CD, music DVD, MP3 disc, Enhanced Audio CD), Video (Video CD, Super Video CD, DVD-Video (encoded from files) DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder, DivX disc), and it can copy discs/burn images with: Disc to disc, image to disc (any format supported by OS X), bin/cue to disc, and merge multiple images.
    I'm sure Roxio explains it better than me though.

8. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

I love my copy of Toast, it was really worth it to get a decent burning program for my media.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What I was really trying to say was...

I don't think people who don't even know what Toast is are good candidates for buying Toast. If he needs the features of Toast then he would know what it is.

10. sananda macrumors 68020

i didn't know what toast was until about three weeks ago. wasn't at all sure what i needed. turns out was i was a good candidate for buying toast which i now have.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Toast used to be the second thing I would install after a 10.x upgrade. Stuffit was the first. Now Stuffit is not needed as much Toast is the first thing I install on a fresh OS. Can't live without it! :eek:

Drag, drop, click, eject! Easy!

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, you knew you needed something, you did a little research, and you came up with Toast.

The impression I got from the OP was the reverse: he's heard of Toast and wanted to know what it does, especially in relation for making backup copies of DVD movies. No, that isn't what Toast is for.