what is Transmission?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tenhead, Mar 13, 2011.

1. tenhead macrumors regular

I tried to understand Transmission but still not quite understand it. I understand things like Vuze. In Vuze, I just type in the search then download. Please explain when does Transmission come in to play.
    Also, what's the different between Vuze and Piratebay.org
    I'm sorry, I'm just trying to understand this bit torrent thing.
    Thank you.

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Transmission is a torrent client (downloader, whatever you wish to call it). you can download .torrent files, the same with Vuse. Vuse has a built in browser whereas transmission you need to find your own torrents.

uTorrent is also good

EDIT: you can't discuss anything illegal here, i.e. piratebay. Legal torrents should be okay though

3. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

The piratebay only hosts the torrent files vuze and transmission download the on you computer.

4. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I guess that part that confused me is that transmission doesn't have a place to search for torrent. Why would they do it this way. Why doesn't it have built in search box like Vuze?
    thank you all for the help.

Wait. Charlie Sheen? :D

5. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Transmission doesn't have a built in torrent search base namely because that walks the fine lines of legality. Most torrent clients are built this way. They're designed to be the vessel of obtaining information, but they leave it to you to actually commit the offense.

6. Adobe75 macrumors member

By including a search mechanism, they are tying the program to a "central authority" of sorts.

There are many benefits, but I feel more problems in this case, with a central authority. If the search provider is large enough and has a monopoly on torrents, one would feel very confident in doing a search which would yield the content you are looking for. However, if this were to be the case, it would be highly visible to the MPAA and RIAA, which would shut it down in short order due to copyright violations. Just do a quick search and you will find many torrent search and tracker sites being attacked legally. Remember supernova(sp?) and mininova? The Pirate Bay has been surprisingly successful at eluding the same fate.

The bit torrent system is meant to be open and resilient to the problems with central authority. Anyone can host a tracker, seed content, create a torrent file. So even if half of the trackers are shut down by the law, what remains is still a tremendously useful system for legally sharing large files on the internet. I could even set up a private tracker where by only my close friends and I could submit torrents and share content.

The torrent downloading client, in this case Transmission, is remaining unaffiliated with any possible liability that could make it less useful.

7. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

If they have the build in search then it'll be like napster, right. Therefore walking the fine line of legality?
    I see now. Thank you so much for the explanation. Really appreciate it.