What is Unix? Help with iAudio x5!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by A1SteakSauce, Jul 27, 2008.

1. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

I tried to use my Mp3 player (iAudio X5) which is not an iPod and all the music comes up as a "unix" file and I cant play it or anything. Also, when I tried copying a home video it also came up as unix and I cant copy it. What is Unix? And why can't I copy songs from my current mp3 player to my MB Pro?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You should be able to just copy them across just fine. Do they have the proper extensions? What format is the music in? I notice it supports some audio formats that Mac OS X does not support out of the box.

To answer your question though. Mac OS X is Unix, as is Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD, NetBSD etc etc. It is just a type of operating system.

3. voxnj macrumors regular

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Unix (disambiguation).
    European illustration of a Unix (1749)
    European illustration of a Unix (1749)

Unix (IPA: /ˈjuː.nəkz/) are castrated men, in particular those castrated early enough to have major hormonal consequences; the term usually refers to those castrated in order to perform a specific social function, as was common in many societies of the past. The earliest records for intentional castration to produce unix are from the Sumerian city of Lagash in the twenty first century BC