Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Hi All...

I was very surprised when I watched the demo this week in regards Apple, and the use of Bing... To be in bed with the enemy, relations with Google must really be in the crapper if they have ditched Google for Bing.

I tried Bing, and it was not a pleasant experience, not my search engine of choice, I hope that in Yosemite, this is an option, not forced on me, that would really suck rocks!!

I really hope that now that Apple and M/soft are playing together, this leads to the introduction of native playback of AVI, I have so many video files in AVI, that would be so much better to watch through quicktime or Preview, and have access to in Final Cut Pro X.

Any thoughts??

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To be in bed with the enemy
They're not the "enemy" They're a competitor in a number of areas but they also provide services that apple wants/needs.

Apple use MS services and have for years, in fact their iCloud runs in MS (and Amazon) servers.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Google is far more an 'enemy' than Microsoft has been for years.

And AVI is an outdated container that no one should be using. No logic in creating support for it.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Given there are only 2 major operating systems, 1 plays AVI and the other major system does not, a long standing issue, that has harmed in many ways Apple, M/soft can be viewed as an enemy.

The number 1 reason many people say they use editing systems other than Apple is the fact that the other systems play AVI. I have yet to find a stable reliable consistent file converter for Mac OS X that converts AVI to MOV.

If there was a "war" then now is the time to kiss and make up....

----------

Yes, outdated, the cold hard fact it is still here, and will be long after the next ice age... We the users are simply not putting pressure to kill off this version of wrapping video with audio.

It is a source of huge frustration that Adobe uses it, and I get files in AVI, I need to go back and have the files changed, to mov from within Premiere, I do not have Premiere...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Given there are only 2 major operating systems, 1 plays AVI and the other major system does not, a long standing issue, that has harmed in many ways Apple, M/soft can be viewed as an enemy.

The number 1 reason many people say they use editing systems other than Apple is the fact that the other systems play AVI. I have yet to find a stable reliable consistent file converter for Mac OS X that converts AVI to MOV.

If there was a "war" then now is the time to kiss and make up....

----------

Yes, outdated, the cold hard fact it is still here, and will be long after the next ice age... We the users are simply not putting pressure to kill off this version of wrapping video with audio.

It is a source of huge frustration that Adobe uses it, and I get files in AVI, I need to go back and have the files changed, to mov from within Premiere, I do not have Premiere...
Correction: OS X does not play many .avi videos out of the box. This is true of many formats of many file types.

On my own Macs, I play virtually any .avi video that I encounter. That said, they are now rare birds. But, just because they are rare birds does not mean that you cannot install a compatible codec that will handle it. I have Perian and third-party installed. It Perian frightens you, then the open source VLC player will also handle just about any .avi that you encounter.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.