What is up with Autocorrect these days?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kappaknight, Oct 2, 2014.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I remember the good ole days when autocorrect used to be helpful and fixing misspellings. These days, the super aggressive feature is making me look like a complete idiot; taking away important words in sentences, or replacing what I mean to type with totally unrelated words. Is there any way to improve it without it sabotaging it even more?

2. Zxxv macrumors 68040

3. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I agree auto correct wasn't this bad in iOS 7. It's ridiculous in iOS 8, it doesn't even correct the words with the right spelling either, it's a mess.

4. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

No complaints here. We'll need some examples.

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

it seems to be learning all over again.

i misplace two letters in a word and rather than simply switch them it separates the word into two new words that aren't even close to the word (or letters) in the original mistake.

6. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

At least it seems to know when I want to use "well" instead of "we'll" better than it did in iOS7.

7. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Haha. Good.

----------

On my iPhone it would not even cap the P until I added "iPhone" as a keyboard shortcut. That's pathetic. "iPad" and "MacBook" work.

8. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I was also going to post this when I read the topic title.

9. bghorishi macrumors newbie

Been having all kinds of issues with iOS 8 since the initial release through 8.0.2.
    And yes, auto correct is certainly one of them. The words that are correct sometimes get corrected to incorrect words while others which would be a simple mistake (ie. you) are being left incorrect (ie. uou). Very frustrated and disappointed with Apple these days. Totally 'un-Apple' of them.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

A number of people have been complaining in iOS 7 days that autocorrect got worse with iOS 7.

11. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Is it not the case that you can now download 3rd party keyboards and therefore try alternative correction techniques?

12. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

That's not remotely as bad as it correcting "the" to "tje". What the heck is tje?!?!?!

13. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Should've prolly a spelled the words right yourself. Now it thinks the misspelled words are words. Only have yourself to blame really.

Got to settings > general > reset > keyboard.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Autocorrect went downhill compared to IOS 7. Predictive typing is fairly good though intrusive.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

It went downhill in iOS 7 compared to 6.

16. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Gosh short memories everyone huh? Autocorrect was TERRIBLE in the first versions of iOS 7. It slowly got better and was great in 7.1.2. Now we're just back to 7.0 days. I don't know why this happens with each major version of iOS, but it does. I suspect it will be better eventually if history is any guide.

17. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Well done for pointing out the obvious. How does that negate from the fact that it's spelling dictionary words incorrectly?

It's a well known fact that it's rubbish, get over it.

18. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Wait, wait, wait. Can you read or you no have logic? Here;
    If the OS learns wrong words that means you can type in names without it correcting you. You can also type words of a different language. Now just don't spell the words wrong (you have suggestions) or reset the dictionary OR don't complain about something that is clearly your fault. Yes, not knowing how to spell something enough that the OS learns it is your fault. Or maybe your schools¿

Now, of course it's not great. I recently reset my dictionary and it's frustrating. It doesn't correct words to wrong spellings though.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apparently it didn't learn that badly before though.

20. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Oh most definitely. It's more finicky now. But blaming Apple for misspelled words he misspells is stupid.

21. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

What's happening is that it's become more "flexible" in its learning. Society today (mostly today's youth) just loves to misspell words. "ur right" "I needz dat new fone"... crap like that, so I think they are just allowing any word that someone overrides to be stored as an "actual" word to appease the youth.

Personally I think they should leave it strict, or allow a separate "slang" dictionary/keyboard for the intentional illiterates to use.

22. Beefburga macrumors 6502

Beefburga

I'm finding auto correct to be really reliable and I especially like they way it caravans what you are going to truffle next.

23. Planey28 macrumors 6502

It keeps capitalising random words for me, it's become much more annoying. Must be a bug?

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

25. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yeah, we can't blame Apple's autocorrect for not auto-correcting input errors.