What is up with Autocorrect these days?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I remember the good ole days when autocorrect used to be helpful and fixing misspellings. These days, the super aggressive feature is making me look like a complete idiot; taking away important words in sentences, or replacing what I mean to type with totally unrelated words. Is there any way to improve it without it sabotaging it even more?

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I agree auto correct wasn't this bad in iOS 7. It's ridiculous in iOS 8, it doesn't even correct the words with the right spelling either, it's a mess.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
it seems to be learning all over again.

i misplace two letters in a word and rather than simply switch them it separates the word into two new words that aren't even close to the word (or letters) in the original mistake.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2013
At least it seems to know when I want to use "well" instead of "we'll" better than it did in iOS7.

antiprotest

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
sorry I can't make out a word you just said :D

Haha. Good.

----------

On my iPhone it would not even cap the P until I added "iPhone" as a keyboard shortcut. That's pathetic. "iPad" and "MacBook" work.

bghorishi

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Been having all kinds of issues with iOS 8 since the initial release through 8.0.2.
And yes, auto correct is certainly one of them. The words that are correct sometimes get corrected to incorrect words while others which would be a simple mistake (ie. you) are being left incorrect (ie. uou). Very frustrated and disappointed with Apple these days. Totally 'un-Apple' of them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree auto correct wasn't this bad in iOS 7. It's ridiculous in iOS 8, it doesn't even correct the words with the right spelling either, it's a mess.
A number of people have been complaining in iOS 7 days that autocorrect got worse with iOS 7.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I remember the good ole days when autocorrect used to be helpful and fixing misspellings. These days, the super aggressive feature is making me look like a complete idiot; taking away important words in sentences, or replacing what I mean to type with totally unrelated words. Is there any way to improve it without it sabotaging it even more?
Is it not the case that you can now download 3rd party keyboards and therefore try alternative correction techniques?

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Should've prolly a spelled the words right yourself. Now it thinks the misspelled words are words. Only have yourself to blame really.

Got to settings > general > reset > keyboard.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Gosh short memories everyone huh? Autocorrect was TERRIBLE in the first versions of iOS 7. It slowly got better and was great in 7.1.2. Now we're just back to 7.0 days. I don't know why this happens with each major version of iOS, but it does. I suspect it will be better eventually if history is any guide.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Should've prolly a spelled the words right yourself. Now it thinks the misspelled words are words. Only have yourself to blame really.

Got to settings > general > reset > keyboard.
Well done for pointing out the obvious. How does that negate from the fact that it's spelling dictionary words incorrectly?

It's a well known fact that it's rubbish, get over it.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Well done for pointing out the obvious. How does that negate from the fact that it's spelling dictionary words incorrectly?

It's a well known fact that it's rubbish, get over it.
Wait, wait, wait. Can you read or you no have logic? Here;
If the OS learns wrong words that means you can type in names without it correcting you. You can also type words of a different language. Now just don't spell the words wrong (you have suggestions) or reset the dictionary OR don't complain about something that is clearly your fault. Yes, not knowing how to spell something enough that the OS learns it is your fault. Or maybe your schools¿

Now, of course it's not great. I recently reset my dictionary and it's frustrating. It doesn't correct words to wrong spellings though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wait, wait, wait. Can you read or you no have logic? Here;
If the OS learns wrong words that means you can type in names without it correcting you. You can also type words of a different language. Now just don't spell the words wrong (you have suggestions) or reset the dictionary OR don't complain about something that is clearly your fault. Yes, not knowing how to spell something enough that the OS learns it is your fault. Or maybe your schools¿

Now, of course it's not great. I recently reset my dictionary and it's frustrating. It doesn't correct words to wrong spellings though.
Apparently it didn't learn that badly before though.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2013
Apparently it didn't learn that badly before though.
What's happening is that it's become more "flexible" in its learning. Society today (mostly today's youth) just loves to misspell words. "ur right" "I needz dat new fone"... crap like that, so I think they are just allowing any word that someone overrides to be stored as an "actual" word to appease the youth.

Personally I think they should leave it strict, or allow a separate "slang" dictionary/keyboard for the intentional illiterates to use.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
I'm finding auto correct to be really reliable and I especially like they way it caravans what you are going to truffle next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.