what is up with my power adaptor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidwarren, Apr 18, 2008.

1. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I tried searching, but couldn't find an answer.

When I plug my magsafe adaptor into my MB, sometimes it will charge the battery and sometimes it won't. If it is not charging, and I flip the magsafe adaptor over, it will charge. What does this mean? When it is not charging, it is using the plug to power the computer, but not charge the battery. Is my magsafe cord dying? If so, is this a warranty issue?

Thanks

2. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Judging by that, I'd say it's the adapter, not the MacBook.

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Check the contacts. Make sure they are clean.

4. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Sounds like your cord is beginning to fray. Is it the new redesigned magsafe, or the original, problematic one? If you see dark spots developing on the cord right by the connector, it could be it is fraying, in which case apple will replace it free.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would contact Apple right away, or go to an Apple Store. You don't want this to turn into an electrical short...

6. eman macrumors 6502a

Check for a stuck pin on the end of the magsafe.

7. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I agree. The pins in my magsafe had their springs fail, so they would often lose contact. Got a new adapter from Apple under my AppleCare.

8. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Weird, I'm having the same problem. I went into my office this morning and my MBP told me I was running on reserve power. I looked at the light on my magsafe and it wasn't illuminated. I unplugged it and retried. No luck. I tried another outlet - no luck. I think the outlet it's in was fine becasue my monitor was plugged in and working fine.

Sounds like a trip to the Apple Store at lunch!

9. davidwarren thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hum.. Not sure which magsafe I have. I got my MB last August, it is the model that was out right before the SR MB came out. There is a small black spot on it, but I am not sure if that is a burn or ink. No stuck pins that I can see...

It is not a consistent problem, but is annoying.

10. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I didn't see any black spots on mine, but it's only a month or so old.

11. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Went to the Apple Store at lunch. Turns out the adapter was bad. They swapped it out and I should be good to go.

On a side note: I love and hate the Genius Bar. My swap out could have been done in 5 minutes, but instead it turned into a 30+ minute ordeal. I had to have an appointment, of course I didn't. So then I had to be placed on a waiting list blah blah blah.

Something like this shouldn't take the Genius bar to fix. Just my opinion.