What is up with the SD card reader? Design Complaint

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neondrgns, Apr 23, 2010.

1. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

So gizmodo posts up this article about a suggestion about an old ram boosting function in windows called readyboost, which will use an sdcard as a temporary cache essentially making it like extra ram...I got excited and wanted to do this with my mbp, but when I stuck in an sdcard it stuck out of the machine by like a quarter of an inch...all the other notebooks I have ever owned house the sdcard fully inside the computer...anyone else think this is a crappy design flaw? this is a classic example of apple sacrificing functionality to accomodate their design

2. pastparticiple macrumors regular

No I don't think it is a flaw. Why do you need it to go all the way in? You have other stuff sticking out the side already like USB plugs and the power cord. It's not like that side needs to be perfectly flush to function. And you negate the need for a spring mechanism to pop it back out.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

But if he cut end bit that sticks out so it sits flush then you'd lose the storage in the bit you cut off, probably a few hundred MB...oh and you'd also have some serious trouble trying to get the thing out.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Bloody readyboost, bloody Windows, bloody useless
    Honestly, Readyboost is useless~

How many GB of RAM do u had?

7. neondrgns thread starter macrumors regular

neondrgns

also you know people bitch about how small SSDs are...well your SD card reader can support SDHC up to 32 gigs

so my main issue was that I wanted to put an 80 gig intel ssd...and use the 32 gig ssd for music and files and such

but if it sticks out like a god damn flash drive its pretty useless now