WHAT IS UP with Time Machine and AEBS & Tech Support

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stubeeef, Mar 21, 2008.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I had the understanding that Time Machine was supported with 10.5.2 and the recent 7.3.1 firmware update. so that Extreme base stations with external (usb) hard drives could be used with Time Machine.
    I have not been able to make it work, and after one hour on the phone with tech support they told me that AEBS and the firmware update (7.3.1) ARE NOT supported with Time Machine!!!!!

Is that true????
    I thought the firmware update was to retro make it happen for us AEBS owners.

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Did you install the AirPort Utility 5.3.1 update as well. I don't use wireless but I've read that update is needed as well. HTH.
    Morod

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

yep

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Many people are reporting success and I doubt support would have spent an hour with you if the answer was a simple "That's not supported".

Describe your situation. Can you see your drive from Airport Utility? What is your setup and what have you tried?

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I spent 5 minutes with someone who forwarded to me to some other support. I waited over 40 min for them to give me 5 minutes.
    They said that the updates were not to give TM a link to air drives.
    Since then, I have gotten my airdrive up, and have linked superduper to do BU to it.