What is up with wireless charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cgdrummer, Mar 22, 2016.

1. cgdrummer macrumors member

Said in your best Jerry Seinfeld voice...

But seriously, all of the Samsung-ites, the ads, tout this wireless charging thing as the best thing ever and that's why you should get a Samsung or whatever phone and not an iphone, it can't do that.

So my question: is it (wireless charging) really all that it's cracked up to be? It seems to me to be a nice convenience, but not the dealbreaker if I want a particular phone. It sounds like a lot of hype. I guess the next thing you'll say to me is, you can charge your iphone with your microwave...

2. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

I thought of this in 1992, Sony made a waterproof phone that had no metal connections to charge in I believe 93 or 95. I don't think its that big of a deal, I am wondering how it will work in the car.

3. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

The real reason why it is not on iPhones is because of the all metal enclosure. It is very difficult to transmit power through metal alloys. That is why "almost" every android phone that has wireless charging has an either plastic or glass back. I would like to see what Apple has in store for a power transmission that allows for distance charging. So imagin a base station plugged into a wall and whenever you are within 2-4ft of the station your phone will charge. That is where wireless charging will become useful to me. Current tech still requires the the phone to be placed flat on a "mat" in order to charge. Not much different then plugging in to me.