Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hi
I was about to get a 350D (new) when a friend of mine asked if I would buy his 20D instead as he is upgrading.
I much rather have the 20D, so the next step is to find a price we can agree on.
It´s over a year old, used heavily for skiing and motor cross shooting. Still everything works fine, but it´s not been under light use and has been expoed to sand, dirt, cold & heat.

How much you think it´s now worth?
I do understand it´s difficult to say without seeing the camera, but I´m only looking for estimates and pointers.

I have only seen one 2nd hand here and it was 7.500kr with the 18-55 lens
(New price in Norway 9.500kr)

Any ideas?

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
yoak said:
Hi
I was about to get a 350D (new) when a friend of mine asked if I would buy his 20D instead as he is upgrading.
I much rather have the 20D, so the next step is to find a price we can agree on.
It´s over a year old, used heavily for skiing and motor cross shooting. Still everything works fine, but it´s not been under light use and has been expoed to sand, dirt, cold & heat.

How much you think it´s now worth?
I do understand it´s difficult to say without seeing the camera, but I´m only looking for estimates and pointers.

I have only seen one 2nd hand here and it was 7.500kr with the 18-55 lens
(New price in Norway 9.500kr)

Any ideas?

To find a fair price for a common camera like this, go to Ebay - there are usually a dozen or so 20D's in good condition listed. Just bookmark a couple, and then when the final bids are finished you can use the bookmarks to find the final prices. Use these to come up with an "average" price for a good camera (adjust for extras like CF cards, etc). Then you have a starting price for the camera you are looking at, which should then be adjusted down for heavy use, etc.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Or check the box for "completed auctions" and see what 20Ds went for in the last 30 days. My guess, in that condition, is somewhere around $850-950.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I got the camera today, got the standard lens + a 28-105 lens and a years insurance from the photoshop he bought it from.
It turned out to be around half price of what the package was new.
I´m happy.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, sounds like a decent deal. If it was used under harsher-than-normal conditions for so long, you shouldn't be paying 7500 kr when a new one is 9500 kr. You should be paying 30-50% less, IMO, but it really depends on the condition of the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.