What is VPS hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Dec 28, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

http://www.allunlimitedwebhosting.com/

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Virtual Private Server (I believe)

Think of it as a dedicated server with multiple virtual machines running on it. Similar to how you may have VM ware running linux or windows on a mac. This gives the user a dedicated amount of resources without worrying about other people bringing the server to a crawl as you would with a shared host. Since multiple people will be "renting" out the virtual machines, and you have multiple virtual machines per server you are not paying the full cost of a dedicated server, which tends to be on the high side...

[/at least that is how I understand it]

3. angelneo macrumors 68000

It's still possible for your neighbor to overload the server in a VPS hosting environment. You get better load allocation, bandwidth than a shared hosting, plus you get a ssh root account which means you will be able to install stuff on the server.

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

thats how I understand it as well.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

VPS makes sense for advanced users. They give you a bunch of graphical interfaces to administer the server, but honestly you'll want to be familiar with linux if you're going to get the most out of it.

It would make sense for a small company web site that needs extra control but is still on a budget, or for launching an upstart web site.

6. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

You don't need "advanced" knowledge to have a VPS. I have my own VPS and I mostly use CPanel to interact with it.

I think a VPS is well worth the money. You are not limited like you are on a Shared Server, but you don't have the high prices of a dedicated server.