Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
winner winner bourbon chicken dinner
93869504_3199983233378353_5761496244430045184_n.jpg

93523434_3199889273387749_7162018237079617536_n.jpg

omg, what a difference from the first try.

again I doubled the ingredients for the marinade and the sauce.
you can never have too much sauce.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
winner winner bourbon chicken dinner
93869504_3199983233378353_5761496244430045184_n.jpg

93523434_3199889273387749_7162018237079617536_n.jpg

omg, what a difference from the first try.

again I doubled the ingredients for the marinade and the sauce.
you can never have too much sauce.

My rule of thumb is to double, treble, or quadruple whatever quantity of garlic is mentioned in a recipe, depending on my mood.

Same with anchovies, ginger, and, sometimes, chilli. And indeed, paprika, pimentón, and saffron.

Anyway, I'm the kind of chef/cook who reads a recipe, and thinks, "nah, there's no way that half a level teaspoon of.........is what they meant, that is a really tiny amount; surely, they meant at least a bit extra, one for the pot, so to speak...." so, extra garlic, drizzles of olive oil, lashings of butter, sneaky soya sauce spoons, and so on, find their way into my bubbling Italian, French and German pots and pans.

Anyway, doubling very often (actually, almost always) works, and works well.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
For supper here tonight, not your grandmother's kasha varnishkes: I took some leftover al dente kasha, five little organic multicolor peppers, half a chopped onion (no, not caramelized), two cloves' worth of minced garlic, a handful of chopped kale and about three ounces of leftover ham steak, diced up. All stir fried quickly (adding the kasha last) and then a royal surprise at the end with a couple dollops of teriyaki sauce.

almost everything i could reach.jpg

Whew. Managed to leave a few things in the fridge for tomorrow. Imagine if I were an octopus reaching in there for dinner makings. But I'm klutzy enough I might end up stir frying one of my paws, er.. tentacles.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Sushi

View attachment 907507

Okay, I wish. This was from a few months ago, but I've been meaning to post here.

@LizKat's avocado woes reminded me.

Wasn't there something about Steve Jobs and lickable buttons? That thing looked like lickable screen.

I'm a picky lover of sushi but I used to walk 20 blocks RT for good California roll in NYC.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner will be an Aberdeen Angus beef burger.

This shall be accompanied by creamed spinach (garlic has already been minced, seven fat cloves, an onion has been finely diced, and pecorino cheese - in the absence of Parmigiano-Reggiano, has been grated, while the double cream still awaits in its tub, and I must remind myself to locate the nutmeg), and purple sprouting broccoli in a homemade anchovy and butter and onion, and garlic (yes, the broccoli will receive some of the minced garlic, and some of the finely diced onion, which will be added to melted butter into which several chopped anchovies will have been allowed dissolve) sauce.

A glass of Italian red wine to accompany.

Last edited:
Reactions: anika200

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Dinner was the second of two Aberdeen Angus beef burgers, sautéed.

Accompaniments included creamed spinach, (see yesterday's recipe), and steamed and sautéed leeks, anchovies and garlic.

Very tasty.
This sounded really good, not sure I ever had a burger without the bun and condiments. I mean besides when I just raid the fridge and hand eat that left over grilled burger. :D Must be some good beef and the spinach sounds good too.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This sounded really good, not sure I ever had a burger without the bun and condiments. I mean besides when I just raid the fridge and hand eat that left over grilled burger. :D Must be some good beef and the spinach sounds good too.

Well, my friend the cheesemonger dropped in a few bits and pieces to me last week; I knew that cheese would feature (Gorgonzola, Stilton, Camembert and Cheddar duly made an appearance), and I had requested cream, but I wasn't expecting meats.

I didn't have the buns to hand, but, bizarrely, as I had consumed so little meat over the previous weeks, I did crave some red meats - as, normally, I eat meat seldom enough,- and then, it is usually organic, free range chicken.

On the rare occasions I eat red meat, it is usually aged (and sold) by the people who rear it, and I usually buy this stuff in the artisan butcher's stall at the farmers' market, but they haven't been open for a month.

Anyway, when I saw two Aberdeen Angus beef burgers among the haul, I decided to treat them much as I would a fillet steak, except that I cooked the burgers pretty well done, whereas I prepare steak rare.

So, spinach: I had some fresh spinach,and had been waiting for something really nice to serve it with; usually, - if I am cooking a pretty quick meal, spinach would be steamed to accompany a pasta and blue cheese sauce (blue cheeses melted, and double cream added), but, on this occasion, I decided to treat myself to creamed spinach.

I was mindful that beef burgers can be dry, and wanted a tasty and moist side dish; the cheesemonger's goodies also included purple sprouting broccoli, something I never buy for myself, and, on this occasion, I consulted the internet, and they (the revered Nigel Slater) supplied an excellent recipe of finely diced onion, minced garlic, melted anchovies, butter, and purple sprouting broccoli, which was so good, it shall feature on a regular basis in future, chateau moi.

Leeks are a perennial favourite of mine, and I had several to use up; normally they would be sweated and sautéed in garlic and butter (sometimes with tomatoes added); today, I thought to add a few melted anchovies into the frothing butter, and finely chopped garlic.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LizKat and anika200

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
We've been stuff peppers with all sorts of things outside of meatballs too, doing variants like a cheese steak (using delicious Boar's Head prime rib), it's great and reduces the carbs a decent amount
What a great idea, now if I could just get to a store safely. Seriously though thanks, cheese steak or even Mac&Cheese or wow whatever.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

The thing about the creamed spinach, is that it is a luxury dish, and one that takes time, as there are a number of steps to be completed, and vegetables (minced garlic, finely diced onion), and cheese (grated Pecorino or Parmigiano-Reggiano) to be prepared.

(But, well, the vicissitudes of life and public health polices of our respective governments mean that we do have time in abundance just now, don't we?)

The spinach needs to be steamed quickly - and separately - first; not necessarily fully cooked, but drained and squeezed dry. (And the saucepan washed, ready for the next stage, whereby the butter is melted, and onion and garlic softened).

Now, when preparing pasta and blue cheese sauce, I normally steam spinach, adding butter, while it is steaming, but that is about it, as I fold it into the pasta sauce when it is ready.

For creamed spinach, once you have the spinach steamed (and squeezed dry), you prepare your sauce. Some recipes demand flour - for me, this was a step too far.

However, I did sauté very finely diced onion (until soft, and this takes considerably more time than the proverbial three minutes some silly recipes suggest); then, add the minced garlic, and have your grated Pecorino or Parmigiano-Reggiano - more than you think you to will need - to hand. Still other recipes call for cream cheese, or creme fraiche; double cream works for me.

So, once the onions and minced garlic are softened, add the cheese and cream, and wait until the cheese is fully melted before folding in the already more or less cooked/steamed spinach and bring back to the boil; several of the recipes I consulted also suggested adding nutmeg, but, a quick check of my cupboards revealed that I lacked this spice.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Handmade gnocchi in a bacon lemon sauce. Cooked al dente, finished off in a pan with sizzling hot bacon fat, chopped bacon, herbs, lemon, etc. Might make a rosemary potato bread this week.

Lovely stuff and the children are now gnocched out.

I'll see myself out for that joke.

• Haha
Reactions: LizKat

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Just some stuff from the pantry. Baby bella mushrooms, caramelized onions, with rosemary, queso fresco and a dash of red wine in puff pastry.

Salad is pear, apple and pine nuts in a vinaigrette.

Only greens left at whole foods is spinach at the moment.
b7c01b2d8ac43ff90a2e7733127232d5.jpg

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Last nights dinner was lemon pepper, bone-in chicken breasts, oven roasted carrots and gluten free gnocchi in sage butter. Everything was fine, but the gnocchi was a bit odd. Kind of a chewy texture (it was a prepackaged brand from Delallo). Not bad, but not as good as homemade.

39A7BCC1-1970-4363-A83B-54604061598E_1_201_a.jpeg

A945D442-2243-48AA-9A09-591AC3DC3876_1_201_a.jpeg

D9416FDD-94D1-4C43-9A05-B2EBAAF5A65E_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: anika200 and LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last nights dinner was lemon pepper, bone-in chicken breasts, oven roasted carrots and gluten free gnocchi in sage butter. Everything was fine, but the gnocchi was a bit odd. Kind of a chewy texture (it was a prepackaged brand from Delallo). Not bad, but not as good as homemade.

View attachment 908590
View attachment 908591
View attachment 908592

To my mind, gnocchi need a sauce (a blue cheese and double cream sort of sauce) in which to shine.

Or, perhaps, a classic ragu.

Dinner here took the form of sautéed (free range, organic) eggs, with multi-seed brown bead.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
To my mind, gnocchi need a sauce (a blue cheese and double cream sort of sauce) in which to shine.

Or, perhaps, a classic ragu.

Dinner here took the form of sautéed (free range, organic) eggs, with multi-seed brown bead.
Next time I will likely sauce them heavier. Sage butter is just a classic Italian serving of it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We froze our ham remnants from Easter, tons of meat, amazing seasoning for some soup, put it out to thaw this morning.

On my weekly grocery run, picked up a 15 bean package, tossed the supplied seasoning :D Beans in water for ~6 or so hours, drained, set aside. Took the big soup pot, some olive oil, tons of chopped onion, red pepper flake/garlic/salt/pepper/tumeric/cumin, decent heat, a little saute, cut off some of the lean meat from the ham, kind of braised it in the pot - filled 1/2 way with water, brought to a boil, tossed in the whole ham leftover. Medium heat, for a few hours, keep the ham turned, OMG, the smells are amazing, all that original cloves and whatnot from the ham are coming out, the broth is delicious!

After most of the meat cooks off, I'll toss the beans back in, super low simmer for a few hours.

Delicious!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Next time I will likely sauce them heavier. Sage butter is just a classic Italian serving of it.
Classic is always good, I have been thinking about making these.

Hm.

I have two packets of them, (Italian) and I am also generously supplied with lots and lots of blue cheese, and a large carton of organic double cream.

Yes: This sublime dish - gnocchi, and blue cheese sauce - will make an appearance for dinner someday soon.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We froze our ham remnants from Easter, tons of meat, amazing seasoning for some soup, put it out to thaw this morning.

On my weekly grocery run, picked up a 15 bean package, tossed the supplied seasoning :D Beans in water for ~6 or so hours, drained, set aside. Took the big soup pot, some olive oil, tons of chopped onion, red pepper flake/garlic/salt/pepper/tumeric/cumin, decent heat, a little saute, cut off some of the lean meat from the ham, kind of braised it in the pot - filled 1/2 way with water, brought to a boil, tossed in the whole ham leftover. Medium heat, for a few hours, keep the ham turned, OMG, the smells are amazing, all that original cloves and whatnot from the ham are coming out, the broth is delicious!

After most of the meat cooks off, I'll toss the beans back in, super low simmer for a few hours.

Delicious!

That sounds absolutely delicious; reading it, my mouth is watering.

View attachment 908653

Made chicken curry, seems tasty.

Looks lovely; what recipe did you use? Anything unusual or interesting in the ingredients?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.