Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Divinely simple.

And divinely delicious.

I used about half a small wine glass of water - which ensured that the (cooking) apples didn't stick to the dish, but also allowed for the apple, butter, brown (organic) sugar, and grated lemon rind to generate just a little (but incredibly tasty) liquid.

Personally, I love the tart flavour of cooking apples, especially when balanced with just a little brown sugar.

Reactions: decafjava

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Polenta and Ratatouille for lunch.
1100172a98f8c0ef7befdc4c01c18952.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sushi rice (rather than basmati), with a medley (or selection) of roasted vegetables: Aubergine, (eggplant), courgette, (zucchini), vine tomatoes, red peppers, onions, chilli peppers, two heads of garlic (unpeeled), carrots, parsnips, all roughly chopped, and drizzled, very generously, with olive oil.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Roast pork belly, loosely based on a Gordon Ramsay recipe.

This started with scoring the pork belly rind, into diamond patterns and rubbing sea salt (and, in my case, I also added brown sugar) into the crevices.

In a roasting dish - Gordon had called for a bulb of fennel which I forgot to buy yesterday - so, for vegetables, I used roughly chopped carrot, celery, onion, (the classic soffritto), plus parsnip, (I am a northern European, that is a root vegetable - and root vegetables go well with pork - and it is still winter), I sautéed vegetables, and later, fruit, and spices.

Unlike Gordon, I thought that fruit - a large cooking apple and a large conference pear - both sliced and peeled - would work well with pork. And a tin of apricots, their juice added later to the stock - I decided to forego citrus.

The vegetables (and fruit) were sautéed in olive oil in a large roasting tin; spices - several (around seven for me, whereas Gordon had mentioned a mere three) bashed (and peeled) cloves of garlic were added, as were several star anise, bashed cardamon seeds, and a fistful of caraway seeds. (To my surprise, my well stocked spice cupboard did not have the fennel seeds that Gordon suggested).

The inevitable sea salt and black pepper; the pork was seared on both sides; then a large glass of white wine was added, the alcohol allowed to burn off, after which I added the liquid from the tin of apricots, and some stock.

Next, into a preheated oven at 180C (360F) for two and a half hours.

Potatoes - sautéed, French style, to accompany.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Sure. I mostly followed this recipe.

I added quite a bit more spices, changed one cup of the stock for a can of beer, and at the end I folded in a bunch of fresh tomatoes with the shrimp.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sure. I mostly followed this recipe.

I added quite a bit more spices, changed one cup of the stock for a can of beer, and at the end I folded in a bunch of fresh tomatoes with the shrimp.
Very much appreciated, thank you very much for sharing this and for taking the time and trouble to post it.

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Just want to point out that being a part of a community or community forum is taking the time to like/appreciate/acknowledge some other peoples food besides their/your own. Its not Twitter or Instagram unless you make it that way, some fellows may never get it I guess.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A steak sandwich:

Toasted French baguette bread, and sautéed fillet steak (in olive oil and butter; medium rare, I usually cook it rare, but should have been paying closer attention).

Sautéed (in olive oil) - until caramalised - a very finely chopped chilli pepper, and a minced head of garlic, and a finely grated onion.

This caramalised onion/garlic/chilli mix was served (on the toasted French baguette bread), with steak, and the contents of a small dish of mayo, French mustard and horseradish sauce, mixed. Plus a little jalapeno jelly/jam.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I cooked a Beyond Burger for dinner. Had some sliced onions, ketchup and mustard, was a very good burger. I wish I had some sliced tomato, but that's not really the biggest deal. And if I didn't already have a lot of sweets today, I would've made a milkshake to go with my burger.

Oh well, I have some ideas for dessert tomorrow.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Since I'm trying to rid some items in my pantry and discovered I have several cans of black beans on hand, I managed to use one can while making this recipe for black bean quesadillas. They are quite tasty when served with a fresh side of guacamole. The caramelized bell peppers juiced with lime really add a nice kick. Such a simple thing, but it definitely adds to the overall flavor profile.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner took the form of classic comfort food: Sausage and pasta:

Firstly, finely diced onion was sautéed until soft in olive oil, then half a head (around seven or eight cloves) of peeled, minced, garlic was added to the pan, and also sautéed until soft, and golden.

Merguez sausages, (artisan made) three of them (peeled of their casing and broken into chunks) were added to the pan, and browned; meanwhile, a few chopped tomatoes (a mix of vine tomatoes and a few cherry tomatoes) were roasted in the oven (for around 40 minutes - seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and drizzed with olive oil); this (plus the olive oil, seasoned with tomato) was then also added to the pan and mashed and mixed through.

In a separate saucepan, boiling water (salted with a dash of olive oil) awaited pasta (fettuccine); a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water were then added to the sausage, onion, garlic and roasted tomato mix and stirred through.

The pasta was drained, seasoned with a little olive oil and black pepper, then added to the sauté pan, where it was mixed through with the sausage, onion, garlic and roasted tomato mix. Chopped parsley was added, and then it was served.

Dessert took the form of a compot of blueberries and sliced strawberries - with a few teaspoons of honey and the juice of a small freshly squeezed lemon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.