Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
First they ruined Safari in OS X, now it seems to have migrated to the 'clear' button in mobile Safari.

What was wrong with cache/cookies/history being separated? Anyone have a workaround that isn't manually clearing stuff item by item?

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Why clear it at all?

Assuming one uses private browsing where appropriate, I can't see a need to clear any of it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why clear it at all?

Assuming one uses private browsing where appropriate, I can't see a need to clear any of it.
Why have options to deal with any of those items at all then?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I want to clear my cache, I may not want to nuke my browsing history or all my cookies at the same time.
I certainly understand that. My question wasn't about that though given the post I was replying to.

lineto

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
If I want to clear my cache, I may not want to nuke my browsing history or all my cookies at the same time.

just a heads up- if you enable the develop tools, you can clear your cache separately from the clear-history-data-catch-all option.

thFAE03.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
just a heads up- if you enable the develop tools, you can clear your cache separately from the clear-history-data-catch-all option.

thFAE03.png
Too bad that doesn't translate similarly to iOS.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I don't use my iPhone that way, so it's not an issue.

You're making a big deal over nothing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Who is making a big deal exactly? I'm guessing I have a good idea of what you were trying to do there, but it's just not working.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data ?
Yeah, that's basically the more or less "manually cleaning stuff item by item" (as referenced in the OP) partial working of sorts.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Who is making a big deal exactly? I'm guessing I have a good idea of what you were trying to do there, but it's just not working.

I was trying to be like the people that say "the stutters don't affect me because my phone works regardless, so a frame dropped here and there doesn't matter."

Also, it's just a phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was trying to be like the people that say "the stutters don't affect me because my phone works regardless, so a frame dropped here and there doesn't matter."

Also, it's just a phone.
Which is what I saw it as. So basically what you are saying is the very thing that you find wrong when applied to another issue you will go ahead take and use in other unrelated threads just because (essentially to clutter them or derail them needlessly). The word hypocrisy (among others) comes to mind.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's a "Delete All Website Data" button at the end of the list.
I guess that should do the trick of clearing cache and cookies together (at least it seems like that would be the result). Seems like the option that would still be missing is clearing history separately from the rest of it all.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere

It's this narcissism above that fuels Apple to limit our choices. Some people have issues living independently, having Apple's help deciding how to use their devices takes the stress out of their day.

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
Certain websites that I visit multiple times a day store multiple cookies and other evidence so I like just having one button

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.