Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I went to CNN.com today like I usually do and a dialog box came up telling me I had to login to read any articles. Why?
There are other websites to go to get news (fox, cbs, abc, etc.
Just don't get it.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are you sure it was a cnn prompt. Many of these news sites, disguise advertisements and non-cnn content in the main page.

I just went to cnn.com and read a few stories w/o any prompts requiring a login

Reactions: max2

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Here is a scene shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 7.27.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 7.27.40 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here is a scene shot.
Wow, that's crazy.
My local news papers do that, and I largely stopped visiting them once they forced me to register. I've yet to see CNN do that. I'm not a CNN fan. I basically avoid news sites that are heavily biased (I avoid both Fox and CNN)

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wow, that's crazy.
My local news papers do that, and I largely stopped visiting them once they forced me to register. I've yet to see CNN do that. I'm not a CNN fan. I basically avoid news sites that are heavily biased (I avoid both Fox and CNN)
Same MCall and LehighValleyLive definitely do it :(

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Basically, they let me read one or two articles and then tell me I have reached my free limit and ask me to login. I have moved on to Nbc, Cbs and Abc for the latest news stories.

cgst01

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
I ran into this problem with Safari about the same time. I tried using Chrome and it worked fine which seemed to indicate it was just a Safari issue. I cleared my Safari cache. (Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data) Things are okay for now. I also have the CNN app which never had that problem.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Just started having this problem :(

I know this will be a iffy subject and a lot of people will disagree with it. How do you get around it without creating an account?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just started having this problem :(

I know this will be a iffy subject and a lot of people will disagree with it. How do you get around it without creating an account?
Use Chrome, rather than Safari, and, as was advised earlier in the thread, try clearing your Safari cache.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
It is because Google is going to block third party cookies for keeps. Any site that requires a login with no password is using it to collect first party information for their advertisers. And don't think you are going to get around it with one time emails or phony addresses - not for long. You will have to respond to a message in a valid inbox.

The only way I can think to stop this is some kind of temporary email service, but I suspect that known providers will be blocked as fast as they appear.

Expect many websites to begin this in the next months.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It is because Google is going to block third party cookies for keeps. Any site that requires a login with no password is using it to collect first party information for their advertisers. And don't think you are going to get around it with one time emails or phony addresses - not for long. You will have to respond to a message in a valid inbox.

The only way I can think to stop this is some kind of temporary email service, but I suspect that known providers will be blocked as fast as they appear.

Expect many websites to begin this in the next months.
It’s just going to turn people off entirely. These sites will reverse course quick.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Now Fox News is doing something similar. Certain articles require you to create an account. When it first started it was only a few. Now there are more and more articles that have the must login requirement.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Now Fox News is doing something similar. Certain articles require you to create an account. When it first started it was only a few. Now there are more and more articles that have the must login requirement.

Yet the apps don't require it. Yet anyway.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
They need your information. Its data mining.

And yes we are all in favor of a free press, but entities like CNN and Fox and MSNBC are corporate entities posing as the press pushing narratives in an effort to sway the public. As long as you can listen with a grain of skepticism and weed out the propaganda you'll be okay. :)

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
A way around it if you are a fanatic about privacy (or just concerned) is to just use throwaway addresses. Sign up for a week, surf, then abandon and jump to another one. You could even write a script to do it automatically every few days. Or, maybe just sign up to some obscure email address and never visit it again. They would still have your name to search on, but all the spam would go somewhere else, never to be seen by human eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: obeygiant

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
They need your information. Its data mining.

And yes we are all in favor of a free press, but entities like CNN and Fox and MSNBC are corporate entities posing as the press pushing narratives in an effort to sway the public. As long as you can listen with a grain of skepticism and weed out the propaganda you'll be okay. :)
To have a free press, you have to have a press to start with. Most now are just click and clickbait aggregators and with AI coming on, it will get way worse, with sites cross linking to articles that are cross linked to articles that are cross...

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.