What is wrong / how did I manage to fix it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andy348, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro 15 late 2011 anti-glare, recently upgraded to Yosemite

Worked fine until this morning, was frozen so I hard powered off and then tried to start it up again. It would get to the Apple loading screen, get about 1/3rd of the way through, then display a blank grey screen and restart. This just kept happening.

I tried safe mode to no avail, then detailed safe mode (Shift-command-V) and took some pictures with my phone of what it came up with (I can post if necessary). It never could boot into safe mode though.

Then I tried to reset PRAM, no avail.

Then I tried Internet Recovery, it took six minutes, loaded up, then returned to a blank grey screen with the fans blazing. Left it for about 20 minutes, didn't do anything so I powered down.

I found here that COMMAND-OPTION-SHIFT-ESC would allow some people to get to their desktop screen. I tried that right when it usually gives me the blank screen and restarts, and IT WORKED!

So now I am on the computer, working as it should. I have backed up everything I need to, just in case this is to happen again. That said, I am obviously terrified of restarting the computer.

So what exactly could be my problem? I recently downloaded SMC fan control and I thought that that might be problematic, so I just deleted it.

I was just convinced the hard-drive was fried, but apparently not. Either way, I have a phone call set up for when I get home on Monday with Apple, and I have no problems bringing it in as its still under warranty. I just want to kinda understand what went wrong here.

Thanks in advance

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you want to find out what is wrong - search for "radeongate"

Your late 2011 15-inch MBPro is one of the models affected by that.
    It's likely that the problem will return, and it will get worse.

3. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Exactly what I was hoping for (not). But thank you for identifying the problem.

I have scheduled a meeting with the Genius Bar, but I'm not too hopeful. I don't want to experience what apparently everyone else has - problems right out of warranty, or logic board replacements every three weeks.