What is wrong with Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianfast, Jan 12, 2012.

1. brianfast macrumors regular

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 13. I upgraded to Lion in the summer. Lately I have become infuriated at this laptop and am 99% sure I am going to sell this product and never buy Apple again.

The initial reason I bought a Mac was I thought with vertical integration I would never have to waste time with drivers or bugs. Boy was I wrong.

Half a year after the launch of Lion, it is still a steaming pile of crap.

1. Graphics drivers are completely broken, major graphical glitches and this has not been acknowledged by Apple at all. How can they get away with releasing something so broken and not even bothering to fix it? 3 updates later there is no fix.

2. When I fullscreen an application why does my external monitor become useless?

3. Why did Apple intentionally cripple the ability of Macs with optical drives to create windows install USB's from Bootcamp?

4. Wifi connectivity seems worse.

5. Mission control is useless.

6. Graphics drivers still have horrible performance.

For a premium laptop -- running out of support less than 2 years after purchase is ridiculous.

:mad:

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

My Macs have been working exactly like they were supposed to. No problems at all. :)

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Havent updated yet so no issues with SL. Because of all these bugs, i havent had the guts to upgrade.

Not until its stable enough.

SL issues in 10.6.8 are very very mild. And i have never encountered one. 2 force closes in a period of almost a year. So completely fine.

Maybe you should TM and downgrade to SL first?

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

To me your best bet would be to go back to SL, since almost all of your issues are related to lion. I completely agree with you about Mission Control and full screen apps, though.

Your graphics issues seem to be something related to a few machines only, not a widely known issue. If it is indeed a hardware issue go get a replacement.

Also, can you elaborate on #3. I don't know if it's how you worded it, but it makes no sense.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Odd, I own a 2010 MBP and I'm not experiencing any graphical glitches

That is a known "bug" whether apple fixes that in a subsequent update is any one's guess.

Over all, if you're not happy with Lion, downgrade back to Snow Leopard - simple.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Back to SL for me two months ago for most of the reasons you cite. I do miss a few things from Lion but on the whole I'm back to full throttle productivity again with a "proper" Spaces and Expose. Plus regardless of which app I'm using... they *all* have Save and Save as again. :D

But I'm Krazy so what do I know.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

OP, i agree with the others. Most of these seem like Lion problems. You should downgrade.

Also, what does #3 even mean? i don't get it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I stopped quoting his post because I have no idea what he meant on #3

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I think the OP wants Boot Camp to create a Windows 7 installation USB stick from an ISO.

10. derickdub macrumors 6502

I don't even know how doing that would have anything to do with Boot Camp. He could, however, do that with Disk Utility.

11. brianfast thread starter macrumors regular

Macbook Airs can create a bootable windows install usb stick from Boot camp with a Windows ISO.

Macbook Pros (have optical drive) cannot do this for some arbitrary reason.

You don't find out about this kind of nonsense unless you actually try to do things.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, me either.

Unsure if Disk Utility could create a bootable USB flash drive for Windows 7 as it needs to be NTFS format. From memory it requires some fettling in the command line partitioning tool in Windows to make it work.

13. brianfast thread starter macrumors regular

Do you use Google Chrome? Chrome triggers this glitch the most, although it occurs rarely in other applications.

----------

From Boot camp FAQ:

2. What is new in Boot Camp 4.0 for OS X Lion?

Electronic Software Distribution
    Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a CD or USB media to install the latest Boot Camp drivers for your computer. You should get the newest drivers available any time you install Boot Camp.
    Support for the Windows 7 ISO installer
    Install Windows with an installation disc you provide or, on Mac computers that do not have an optical drive, with a USB flash drive that contains a Windows 7 ISO image downloaded from Microsoft. The Boot Camp Assistant will offer to create this image on supported computers.

Why did they create this feature then only offer it to Macbook Airs?

I don't see how "Roll back to SL" is a valid excuse for Apples problems. Apple has very few SKUs... they shouldn't have any major problems period...

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I wasn't aware of that, however it makes perfect sense as the Air doesn't ship with an optical drive.

I'm sure Apple have a good reason for disabling the option on machines that ship with an optical drive. DVD is the most common method for installing Windows 7 on a SOHO machine. USB installation only really appeals to very technical users.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

In the words of Steve Jobs:

"Don't hold it that way"

Quit using Chrome and your problem is solved.

----------

To be fair, none of your mentioned problems are really that major, and it seems mostly that they are localized issues.

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Apple may end up rolling out a update for all those problems.... They usually do.

17. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

1. What graphics issues are you talking about? I knew of an issue with the 2010 15" and 17" MBP's where when switching from integrated to discrete graphics, the system would lock up and become unusable. I had my 15" Pro replaced due to this.

2. As stated, this is a known issue, and is being addressed. Albeit slowly. I do agree with you on this one, Apple does need to fix this ASAP.

3. I was able to create a bootable usb drive for W7 on my Mac. But like other users stated, it makes sense that the air would be given this feature ahead of other systems due to its lack of an Optical Drive.

4. I havent noticed any wifi issues with lion, on my new MBP, my older one, Or my friends 13".

5. Personal preference. I think mission control is excellent, and I know of people who absolutely love it.

6. If you referring to gaming performance, you do have a valid point here. I would say if you bought a mac solely for gaming, or even for occasional gaming, than it was a bad decision. Especially the 13" considering that it only has an integrated chip.

18. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I would recommend a fresh lion install before you give up on it and try to revert back.

19. chillfrilla macrumors member

20. HippieMagic, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I have had some odd issues with wifi in Lion but it seems to no longer be an issue. It would randomly drop, search for wifi, find it, drop, then disconnect entirely and require me to manually connect. This went on for a few days and then it no longer happened.

It works fine under windows and my other laptops have no issue with wifi so it seemed like a Lion specific issue. I am unsure if an update corrected it or what happened as I didn't really pay attention to what I did when it stopped but it literally has been flawless since then. Honestly I have had none of the issues stated in this thread except this one but I am on a newer macbook.

I guess a similar experience was that I was unable to "burn" an iso for Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to a USB to install on the windows partition within Lion. I lost the disk and in my recent move have misplaced my blank DVDs and didn't want to clutter the Windows partition with mounting software. I just mounted it and copied the contents over to the USB so to say this is a reason to never buy another mac would just be stupid. I don't spend the majority of my time wishing I could put disk images on USB drives easier. There are other ways to do it.

21. kaioshade macrumors member

kaioshade

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Did you actually try to contact apple about these issues? At least the graphics issue is major, and the fullscreen problem should eventually be fixed.

Are you aware of this piece of information?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Me too.....I'm running a 2011 MBP Lion pre installed, no issues at all. OP, try a clean install of Lion. This may help. The upgrade may have corrupt or leftover files from SL

24. that1guyy macrumors 6502

25. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

TL;DR the mac drivers for nvidia were complete junk, they were buggy with snow leopard /lion (idk if it applied with all nvidia gpu's but when I had the 330m it was junk)

If you do get a chance to, try a 2011 mbp you'll see a difference