What is wrong with Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greenman1, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Greenman1 macrumors newbie

Is it to much to ask that Steve Jobs could of treated his Apple customers like adults at last weeks press conference, and say right then and there that the white iphone 4 would be available "by later this year"? (What could of changed in 7 days that would of forced Apple to go from "it'll be available at the end of July" to "it'll be available by later this year"? )

Is it to much to ask that Apple just admit that the delay for the white phone 4 is due to correcting the antenna? (I assume no one here is still believing the 'it's more challenging to manufacture' BS)

Even though I never had any intention of owning the white iphone 4, I am really put off by Apple's decision to treat it's loyal customers like 5 year olds whos parents tell them "we're going to disney land" when they're really going to the doctor.

Treat us with respect and don't continually lie to us or show us cartoonishly disingenuous press releases. Is that really too much to ask?

I mean, despite the fact that the Iphone 4 has a unique design flaw that could potentially affect the signal/reception, I've had no problems whatsoever with my Iphone 4, and prior to the 4 I had the 3G which I also thought was a great phone. I realize that Apple produces great products, but their decision to blatantly lie and be disingenuous in the past couple of weeks has really disgusted me, and will definitely be a huge consideration in the future before buying any Apple product ever again.

Am I the only one who feels this way? (dons flame suit) ;)

2. BobHail macrumors 6502a

They aren´t perfect. :p

And yes, of course there will be an hardware fix. It´s so obvious.

3. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Of course there will be a hardware change . . . next summer, and it'll be called Iphone 5.

4. tocheeba macrumors member

I dont believe there will be an antenna fix. It would go against the "nothing is wrong" claim. And it would cost too much at this point in the game, as well as having the FCC re-approve everything. Not going to happen.

In regards as to why they didn't say anything last week, well...Apple's quarterly reports were due and they didn't want any more negative press before their quarter closed out affecting any positive numbers and increase in stock value that occurred after the press conference.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually many of us are not donning our tin foil hats and thinking there's more to the white iphone delay. That is yeah, I do believe them :rolleyes:

6. BobHail macrumors 6502a

That too of course.

But the second batch after September 30. will have silent hardware fix for the antenna issue.

7. greenday123 macrumors 6502

8. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

It is not the antenna issue that is delaying the white iphone. If there was not a problem manufacturing the white phone, then it would have been released at the same time as the black one.

end of story.

9. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Every cell phone company has delays on white phones. There will be a press conference showing this tomorrow.

10. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Bottom Line:

Small companies need to treat their small exclusive customer base with respect, good craftsmanship and honest dealings. This was Apple for a long while.

When companies grow (like Apple), their business model changes. Large corporations must adjust their business model to reflect a broader consumer base and larger production schedules.

Apple is NOT your father's Apple. Plain and simple. They are growing, and in the process alienating a lot of long-time customers mor familiar with their history.

I too feel Apple is playing games in the media about the iPhone. They are not being honest.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You know sh** happen, and product release date slip all the time, if they release another faulty product, the PR mess will be uncontrollable and the stock will suffer (which is at the end what Jobs and the board care about and not the customers).

If they release a White phone that start pealing off because of temperature or any other Manufacture defect it will be 100s and 100s times worst (for the company) that just changing the release date and dealing with a few "complainers"

12. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Didnt you hear? A source close to apple, who i also a buddy of mine said that all white iphone will be shipping with foil hats, apple just cant pump them out fast enough.

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Exactly. And I am sure it wasn't mentioned at the press conference last week for a couple of reasons. One could be that they were still trying to meet that date. The other is that the press conference for for a different issue.

14. Greenman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The idea that the white phone is being delayed because it's "been more challenging to manufacture" is utterly laughable. Ya sure, a company which has been selling products offered in the color white for years and years just now magically and suddenly has a "manufacturing issue" for the first time in it's entire history, with producing the Iphone 4 in that color and forcing them to delay its release by months and months. And coincidentally, that sudden "manufacturing issue" happens at the same time of a colossal PR disaster with the phone's antenna, after it is revealed that there is a design flaw.

Apple could release a statement like this and people would still believe it:

Due to the unexpectedly large amount of factory employees being eaten by pandas in the region where the white models of Apple's new Iphone® 4 are being produced, the white model of the Iphone® 4 will not be available until later this year.

then the replies would look like this:

APPLE HAS NO CHOICE BUT TO DELAY THE PHONE BECAUSE THE WORKERS ARE BEING EATEN, DIDNT YOU READ THE PRESS RELEASE???

Some people will believe literally anything.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Ha! Made me chuckle.

At the same time, it's sort of true. At least with white plastic phones, everyone seems to get little cracks in them.

The iPhone 4 paint problem reminds me of something I read about the special edition Starsky and Hutch Torinos that Ford sold. Remember, they were red with the big white stripe?

Turns out they painted the Torino all white first, then added the red. That's because if they had started with an all red car, the darker color would've bled through a white stripe and made it look pink.

(As a teen, I worked at a body shop and used to paint my own cars all the time. I once did a red to white conversion on a 66 Mustang GT I had, but it took some extra work.)

16. samcraig macrumors P6

the delay has nothing to do with hardware changes and everything to do with the fact that manufacturing a pure white product is one of the hardest. It's the absence of ALL color. The slightest pigment and you get yellow, or some variant.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Plenty. After all, God created the universe in less time than that. ;)

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I wish half of you tards would stop talking out your ass about stuff you know nothing about. I manufacture product in white....it is the BIGGEST pita out there and I charge a lot more for it. The issue with white is real and they have NEVER done white like this before.

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Please tell me what product have Apple develop in White glass???

20. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What part of, "We are having difficulty manufacturing the white glass" do people not understand?:confused:

21. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Apple's biggest problem is overestimating their customers.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It is more challenging to manufacture an antenna fix. :D

They made white plastic and clear plastic coated with white, but never glass. Why do you think its so easy to produce white coated glass that doesn't discolor from heat like some 3GSes did?

Don't like it, buy a black one and stop b!tching.

23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

yes put on your flame resistant gear.....APPLE IS NOT FIXING ANY ANTENNAS...now go home and get your shine box!!!!

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

There is nothing wrong with Apple. Actually they are one very clever company. The fact that they continue to demand the prices they do, proves the success of their masterful marketing. As the saying goes "buyer beware".

25. Greenman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

How challenging it is all depends on what kind of fix they're going to do and how much time they have to do it/come up with it. The white iphone will be likely be delayed for months (on top of how long its already been delayed).

The designers and engineers who work for apple are not stupid, they would be able to identity a hardware/manufacturing solution for the problem within a few weeks (assuming they don't already have one). I mean, if the technology blogs and side-line spectators are coming up with their own solutions such as "internal bumpers" and "chemical coatings on the antenna", then surely the people who actually work at Apple have ideas as well.

Apple isn't going to admit to a hardware problem with the current phone, but that doesn't mean they won't implement any sort of antenna "enhancement" for the phones being manufactured 3+ months from now. In that manner, they won't ever have to acknowledge any sort of hardware flaw while simultaneously "beefing up" the antenna on future models.

It's all about how Apple decides to spin the hardware fix, which they absolutely will do.

They make great products but they treat their loyal customers like gullible 4 year olds--and sadly this tactic appears to be working on grown adults. :rolleyes:

"No Jimmy, we're not going to the dentist office, we're going to Disney Land! Now get in the van and don't eat any cookies, "Mickey Mouse" is going to be looking at your teeth shortly and they have to be clean"