What is wrong with Apples Quality Control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saledug, Jun 10, 2015.

1. saledug, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

saledug macrumors newbie

I just got my 3rd faulty MacBook Pro - i didnt even unpack it at whole - just turned it around and saw a dent... again.
    It is the completely new 15 Inch 2015 Model, not refurbished or used. I already returned two devices and brought the 3rd back to UPS today. The first had three dents in total on the bottom of the device. The second one had a bent Display lid (which can't be seen very well on the photo but it was definitively over milimeter in difference which is too much for a 2249€ machine in my opinion). I'm a Little pissed because i really need the machine for University but i'm not willing to keep a broken product with dents or bent display because apple can't get it right. I bought a new machine for 2249€ so i expect perfection in every detail.

Are there similar experiences out there or am i just very, very unlucky?

First with the 3 denkts (you can see two in the picture - one in the middle and one at the top)
    IMG_1842.JPG

Second one with the bent Display:
    IMG_1957.jpg

Third with one dent:
    IMG_1988.JPG

2. krishmk macrumors regular

I have few thoughts on this
    1. Company is too big to manage properly
    2. Lot of money and arrogance
    3. Apple Fan boys do not care much for mistakes from apple.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

and each is an absolute gem.

OP, i think you just got very unlucky. Might be time to send an email Cook.

4. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a shipping issue with UPS, I mean they don't exactly have a stellar track record, there have been issues in the past with mishandling shipments. You're from Europe it seems so I'm not sure how well UPS reputation is. For something like this, I would recommend you go to an Apple Store directly and open box your machines if there is a store nearby. Otherwise I would send a complaint to Apple (maybe Tim Cook? don't know how well his team handles international issues) and hopefully they'll figure out a way to give you the brand new machine you deserve.

5. nStyle macrumors 6502a

If this is 100% true (completely Apple's fault) and I were you, I would totally be unwilling to try a 4th.

6. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Without any doubt return it and try to make your purchase from an other Location Apple store !

7. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

My 15" rMBP came out of the box in pristine condition.
    Either you have very bad luck, or a very angry courier.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

This is exactly why I like to buy in store, that being said I have never had an issue with a Mac, from the PowerBook to the Retina MacBook :)

Q-6

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Is there a store near you? I am going to assume no as you ordered what seems to be 3 from the online store but if you happen to know of one it would be worth it to go in, explain the situation, make a purchase there and check it out before you leave.

Sorry you are having some bad luck, this is definitely enough to cause frustration just once, let alone 3 times.

10. gordian macrumors member

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with the latest 2.8 GHz 15" rMBP. It arrived with a squeaky and loose "e" key. Called Apple, swapped it out for a replacement which I'm typing from now with no issues so far...

11. sebseb, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Why people are blaming it on the courier??? what on earth does UPS or FedEx have to do with a dented MBP?

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I hope this is sarcasm, because it's extremely ignorant.

13. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Buy one from an Apple store (or other retailer that has your config) and take it home yourself, then see what's what.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're just really unlucky based on the dented ones. But you're also being too critical based on the bent display image you posted.

This one is absolutely fine. I'm not sure what you're expecting.

15. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I can see a very slight curve on the display but yeah, it seems perfectly OK otherwise.

16. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I just found a nice little surprise on the bottom of my just delivered Mac. Back it goes!

image.jpg

17. Studflower macrumors member

"They have no morals"

Where are the mods? Can you ban this kid?

18. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

The mods on this site, at least in my experience, are very ineffective.

19. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

Maybe if enough of us report the post as offensive, something will be done about it.

20. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I can report that my recently delivered (Monday morning) replacement (they CRUed my 17" Macbook Pro) has no dents or bending in it that I can detect. It did, however have a bad SSD. I can't be too angry since they replaced my 4 year old computer with a brand new top spec model with the 1TB SSD, but if I had paid I would be looking into other notebooks.

21. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Funny how people are blaming it on the carriers. If you've ever ordered a Mac online, you know that it's sealed in the packaging and then placed in four trays in the box, one on each corner. The computer doesn't move much in transit and it's damn near impossible to smash it.

The dents are just what happens when you use soft materials like aluminum. Think of the milllions of aluminum panels that are shipped to them. Inevitably some will get dented. Aluminum is easy as pie to dent. If you have a car, you'll know how true this is.

22. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

+1 to other commenters saying buy at the store. I decided to get mine at the store for just this reason, and the Apple team even helped me open it and inspect everything to make sure it was OK. I walked out of the store very happy knowing I purchased a solid machine.

I highly recommend it with a purchase this large, could save you lots of time or even $$ (I've heard stories where someone noticed the dent at home, Apple blamed it on them and wouldn't replace it)

23. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

People aren't necessarily blaming the "last-mile" courier that ships the finished product to the customer.
    It could have happened at any stage in the manufacturing process, maybe even when the raw aluminum panels were shipped to the factory for assembly.

24. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Its bad for all large companies, and no I'm not saying this to excuse Apple from anything, but its pretty bad for most large companies. I had an issue with Sony were I had a TV go bad, it was a know issue that they told me would have been free if I had bought a larger TV.... Anyway, 1st replacement had the same issue. 2nd replacement had the same issue.. 3rd replacement? Had the same issue... 4th replacement, it was a new newer TV but the new unit was so thin I could not ship the 3rd replacement back in its box.. That turned into a whole other issue where over the course of 7months, 6 more wrong sized boxes, and several attempts from them trying to charge my card for not sending it back on time, it was finally resolved...

25. Dead0k macrumors regular

there are some countries which don't have apple stores.

So, as far as I understand, there should be also dents or visual damages on the box (from top or bottom for the 1st and 3rd photos). Topic starter didn't mention it, thus I can make a conclusion that those dents were made during manufacture process or during final packaging.

PS: Its hard to blame carriers as general, because it is very personal and depends on every person who take your parcel. I had a lame behavior of an DHL's guy, he was lazy to call or to come to the 9th floor via elevator. He left almost empty notice on the intercom. (because intercom was in maintenance and the entrance door to the block was opened for a week). Poland. Non-apple parcel. Had that issue only once