What is Wrong With FireFox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lifeinhd, Feb 26, 2011.

1. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I have two FireFox windows open. My friend was over the other day, and I have no idea what she did, but now one of my windows is missing the address bar, bookmarks tabs, and forward/back buttons. I checked FF settings and found that the options for "Display navigation bar" and "Display bookmarks bar" were both still checked, and rechecking them didn't help. Command-L still works for inputting addresses, when I open a new window it opens normally, and the forward/back buttons on my mouse still work. I'd like to get the address bar back though. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

I've attached a picture of the problem-- a normal window is on top, and the abnormal window is below.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Nevermind guys, I just opened a new window and just dragged the tabs into it from the ruined window.

3. andmr macrumors member

For what it's worth, there was probably nothing wrong with your window. Next time that happens, try clicking on the expand toggle on the window's tool bar. It's the horizontal oval button, found on top and off to the right. Good luck.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yup, that would be my suggestion as well.:)

Attached Files:

5. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

...wow. Just tried that with a good window, and indeed that was the case. Thanks!

I wish Apple would label these things. I've been a Mac user since 2006, and I only recently discovered what the gear icon in the Finder does... and even then, it was while I was watching Steve introduce the feature in a keynote :rolleyes:

6. dyn macrumors 68030

FYI: the upcoming Firefox 4 does not have this pill button anymore. Looking at all the OS X Lion (the upcoming OS X release) screenshots and videos it seems that Apple got rid of the button entirely. There is now a fullscreen button instead of the pill button.

7. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I saw my brother's copy of FF4. It seems like a complete redesign, so I'm hoping I'll be able to revert in the about:config. I hate redesigns.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I'm really looking forward to FF4, looks like it has some needed new features. I sure hope that they make it a little more PDF friendly on the MAC. I refuse to download Adobe Reader Bloatware.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

There is a very good extension for that. It uses the same pdf kit as Preview does so you get the same experience as you'd get in Safari. Unfortunately that extension is currently not working in FF4 but people are working on it (issue #159).

10. nitro912gr macrumors member

I have some bud news for you guys, because of apple's UI restrictions the new UI in FF4 is not as good in macOSX as it is in Windows. :(

I work with both platform right now and the UI change in windows is amazing and you really get much more space for viewing the pages, but in mac version there is still a more "bulky" UI.

Well in big screens this is not a problem at all, but in small ones (like my 13" macbook) any extra space is valuable.

This is what I'm talking about:

Mac UI
    [​IMG]
    Win UI
    [​IMG]

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you know what you're talking about, you'll know that Apple has no such "UI restrictions". Look at Chrome.

Or for a more radical UI, look at Twitter for Mac.

This is all Firefox, not Apple.

12. nitro912gr macrumors member

But I have seen in developers pages something about UI restrictions for apps.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The human interface guidelines? Hell, nobody follows them, not even Apple.

14. dyn macrumors 68030

Yep, it's 298453874568x better than the Windows version. The Windows version lacks a title bar which you need to actually move the window. This is hell with the Windows version and a bliss with the OS X version. That's why Apple restricts things in their UI and sees that people will obey those restrictions. Microsoft doesn't care at all and it shows :X Anyway, most Windows users are already complaining about this new version because of this.

For the same reason people are complaining about Twitter for Mac. It doesn't have a title bar and is barely moveable. That's crappy UI design.

The change comes at a cost in essential functionality. I also find it unbelievably strange for someone with a large amount of buttons on the toolbar to be talking about the Mac version being more "bulky". The bulk comes from all those buttons, start removing some.

Same thing for complaining about the small screen, it seems you made a wrong choice and would be better off with a larger screen. That's not some application's fault. Also, Firefox has fullscreen (cmd-shift-f) which has been invented especially for those with smaller screens to take full advantage of the available screen space.

15. nitro912gr macrumors member

I didn't know that, I though it was a requirement.

Now that you mention that, you are right. I didn't noticed however since I surf in maximized window all the time.

But I use the small icons and they have the same height as the address bar, so they does not add, they are in a space where the address bar could fit anyway. The fullscreen is nice but doesn't help when you want to do multiply things at the same time.

Also I hope I'm wrong but it really feels like you guys answer in a little aggressive way, like "don't dare speak bad of macos". I hope this is just my imagination and the reason that the writings are somewhat faceless and we miss the emotion behind.

16. dyn macrumors 68030

Putting lots of icons on a toolbar will make things look bulky even though it isn't. I found it quite strange somebody was talking about things being bulky while using a lot of buttons on the toolbar. Removing those buttons also changes the bulky feeling.

The point about screens is something I see quite often. People complain about the screen being small and needing all the extra space. In my opinion you've chosen the wrong screen size which isn't the applications fault. But in this case you should be welcoming FF4 and Lion since they have great fullscreen support. That is THE best way of using screen space on small displays (you're using the entire screen). Which brings me to the next point: using a maximised window is quite useless, use fullscreen instead because that will use the screen more efficiently than maximised windows do.

It isn't about "don't dare speak bad about OS X" (in this case it would be FF) it is more a case of "think a bit about what you saying". Try to think of the other side of the story. Needing every bit of screen points at having the wrong screen size, using a maximised window instead of fullscreen and yet complaining about needing every bit of screen, etc. Is that really a problem with the application or is it because of the machine or even the user itself? It just seemed somebody was pointing at FF to blame it for *something* and that didn't seem quite fair.

17. nitro912gr macrumors member

When I took the macbook I had in mind 2 thinks, to be able to pay for it, and the mobility. I didn't just picked the wrong screen size, I picked something for specific needs.
    To complain that the version of a browser for the system A is better suitable for my needs than the system B is what people call feedback.
    I have something and I want it to became better.

I didn't start shouting "omgwtflolthatsucks" or something like that.

I really don't understand where is the problem in doing so.

18. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I'm rather glad they didn't use the same UI as the Windows version. I absolutely hate having one menu button to access all of the menus, I find it just stupid. And it makes sense to not have that on the Mac, since we have the permanent menu bar at the top anyways. The single menu button was what made me hate Chrome. If FF for Mac were to implement that I'd probably go back to Opera.

19. dyn macrumors 68030

We all make choices and those choices sometimes have disadvantages. You can not blame something else for that, it's just part of the choice that was made. That's what I meant. I wanted the MBP with the antiglare coating because I hate the glossy. Unfortunately you can only get this option with the hi-res screen. I don't like that either because it makes the letters smaller. Yet I still bought the MBP and I'm very content with it. But I also know that the smaller letters are because I made that choice, I can't blame it on OS X or Firefox.

Besides that, I can resolve it quite easily by using the zoom function (cmd +). In your case there are quite some options to overcome the too small screen size: zoom it to the physical screen or use it fullscreen. Fullscreen will give you the most efficient use of the physical screen. Using the titlebar for the tabs only gives you an extra 10 to 14 pixels which is extremely little. It's only 1 line of text.

Unfortunately it seemed like you did. You're describing the extra space as being "much more space" which is overreacting since it will only give you about 1 line of text more. That's just nitpicking.

@lifeinhd: it would be stupid since the menubar is always there and you have to use it iirc. It would only make the app a bit more bulky. In Windows and Linux this is completely different, it can make things less bulky with those systems.

20. nitro912gr macrumors member

I read again and again my posts here and I really believe you just want to troll.
    I really can't understand what you have against me... maybe because I said that in my opinion the windows version was better suited to my needs...

I said that its much more space when you use a small screen, why exactly this is taken as overreaction I don't know, probably neither you know, you just want to flame...

But maybe you are of those people who believe that we should buy something and then shut our mouths and be happy with whatever we got. I said why something is not working for me, and you just took it like apple hate or whatever and attack me... I got something to fill my needs and now complain so I can have my voice heard that I need something better to cover my needs. What is that you don't understand in giving feedback in a civilized manner?

You really need to relax, I didn't attacked macOSX, I complained about the version of ff4 for macOSX and I believed back then that the UI designers where forced to use specific guidelines.
    I said that realizing that I was mistaken, but obviously you didn't care to read it, in your eyes probably I'm just an apple hater because I just said that the opposing force's version works better for me...

21. dyn macrumors 68030

Then you haven't read it too well since you keep on misinterpreting it which makes it look like you're actually the one trolling and flaming. I'm not trolling nor flaming you but trying to make you understand that you have quite a strange way of looking at things and denying every part of responsibility (at least that's how you come across).

I'll try to explain again. You we're talking about "much more space" meaning that there is an enormous gain. In reality it isn't "much more space" but "a little bit more space". We're not talking about an additional paragraph you gain in space but about 1 line of text. That's not much but just a little. In that way using the wording "much more space" is an overreaction. If you want to call it "a bit too enthusiastic" that's fine with me.

If you really are in need of space then you really need a bigger screen. Since you can't make the screen bigger you need to buy one or buy a new Mac with a bigger screen. That's not always possible, not everyone has heaps of money so we need to find a different solution: using whatever we have as efficiently as possible. That's why Apple puts fullscreen in OS X Lion and that's why Firefox and some other apps already have this feature. By using this you hide every unnecessary part like the address bar, bookmarks bar and tab bar but you can access them easily by moving the mouse to the top of the screen. That also frees up a lot of space, you gain an additional paragraph! If you really want "much more space" use the fullscreen feature, that's what it's there for.

You also claimed the OS X version to be bulky. I've compared the Windows version of Firefox 4 with the OS X version and I really can not see any difference. It has the same bulk on both OS'. Same goes for Safari and even Opera. When I compare these browsers no matter what OS is being used they are all clean looking. There are minor differences (we're talking about a max of like 5 pixels which is nothing, you won't notice). That's quite obvious since that is the current trend with webbrowsers: a very clean look. Since you're using a number of buttons this adds to bulk and is what makes things look bulky. It's like blue making things look cooler than they are. Or yellow making them look warmer.

I really wish sometimes people would do just that. Too many complain about little things just to complain. If you want to complain about something that's fine but do it about something that really matters and that is a real and valid problem. Not about 1 extra line of text of something that is only noticeable after minutes of comparing stuff because that is way too insignificant.

No, you need to relax since you seem to take everything personal and negatively. Also, try to read better because this is not what I've said. You're now confusing me with ravenvii. I was under the same impression as you were. But we are both correct in one part: there is a HIG the programmers have to follow.

Again, you need to read better since you're confusing me for somebody else.
    I don't care what your personal preference is, that's something you should decide and be happy with. I do care about bad arguments and falsely blaming something or someone for one's own mistakes. People need to take some responsibility and learn to solve the problem instead of keep on complaining.

Again, Firefox does not have a bad UI because your screen is too small. Firefox has a bad UI because the UI doesn't make sense or things are hard to reach. None of the things you're complaining about points at bad UI design, it points at an unhappy user. You made a choice that has certain implications so deal with that and stop whining about some piece of software not masking your mistakes. I had a 13" MB and my screen was too small and too glossy but I didn't blame any piece of software for that, I blamed myself and I learned that this setup doesn't work for me. I solved it by buying something that did (the 15" mbp with antiglare).

Btw, take a look at the new Windows UI for Firefox 4, Asa changed the tab appearance. The reactions are quite funny, the Windows users envy the OS X users because the OS X version is so sleek: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2120453 The Windows GUI of Firefox has been debated numerous times. Most people wanted the OS X GUI because it actually was less bloated than the Windows version. The orange Firefox button has been the target of some very heated discussions. You might want to read those. I did and they are a great way of learning about user interfaces and what users actually want. That will make you understand what I'm saying better. MozillaZine is a great site if you want to know more about Firefox, Thunderbird and the other Mozilla products.

22. goodwilldrums macrumors regular

That oval button in the upper right hand corner is gone in FF 4! I use it all the time. I'm trying to figure out how to change this option. It appears only a couple of other people have had this problem too in the new version:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/777106

Also, I think the problem with Firefox in its bulky UI, is that if you look at the top of the window, it doesn't need to have a title. It's redundant since every tab you have open already has whatever webpage you are on titled.

If you look at chrome, that's how they do it, and why it is a lot sleeker looking when you compare them side by side. Chrome got rid of the redundant window title at the top and just left it up to the tab to tell you what webpage you are on. They just have one title, on each tab.

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That little oval button has been removed. The link you posted is from beta 10.6...
    The reason only three people reported the "problem", is because it isn't a problem, they removed it intentionally.

24. Miss Terri, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

nitro912gr, I agree that forum responses can sometimes be overly negative. But, in re-reading your initial post in this thread, I think I can see why people are being a bit "down" on you. Saying things like "I have some bud [sic] news for you guys, because of apple's UI restrictions the new UI in FF4 is not as good in macOSX as it is in Windows." probably isn't the best way to express it if you want a "fair" response.

I kind of let it go because seeing as you were from Greece I figured English might not be your first language, and so you might not be as proficient with "tone" as a native speaker would be. But I bet if you had said something like "Have a look at the difference in the style of FF4 between Windows and OSX. I really like the Windows version better because...." then people would have responded less "negatively."

I did really like that you took the time to include the two screenshots. Interesting to be able to compare them side-by-side :)

Miss Terri

25. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I disagree. I have so many tabs open at any given time that they're so small the title won't show up on them.

That being said, it would be nice to be able to turn it off. The only time I really need it is for doing citations, otherwise I kinda know what I'm looking at based on what I'm, um, looking at :D.