What is wrong with me? (Quicksilver and Growl rant)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slumbercub, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Is there something wrong with me; it is just that despite the near religious zealotry these two apps attract, I just don't get them.

I know Quicksilver is fantastic, I understand that and have tried to use it people say give it a chance and you will come to love it and you won't be able to use a Mac without it. Well I tried, I tried to do as much as possible with it for as long as I could. It just frustrated, then annoyed and finally angered me. Why doesn't it do what the hell I want it to. :mad:

I have used Launchbar in the past and although it doesn't do as much as QS, it does it properly and without annoyance. I now don't use either and haven't found a productivity drop, quite the contrary in fact. Spotlight seems to do just fine.

That brings me to the second app of concern, Growl. I have one question, WHY? I mean, what is the point, why does it help or is it just a silly little toy to use for the sake of it? Again I have tried to use it and I once even got it to actually notify me of an event and when it did I just thought - "Meh" :rolleyes:

So, what is it about these two apps that people fawn over, why do you love using them and how do they help in your enjoyment or productivity when using your Mac because, as of yet, I just don't get it?

:)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't use growl and i see no point to.

quicksilver is great though, perhaps if you were to expand on the troubles you were/are having with it we could be of more help in finding out what the problem is.

in the end, if they don't work for you, they don't.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I love Growl. The main practical uses I have for it are that I can use the notifications as a mail filter. I can skim the mail notifications and see if there is a pressing email to reply to or if it's just Netflix telling me which DVDs I'm getting tomorrow. I also use it with Adium...and the notifications help me see I have a new message if my speakers are off. The music and other types of notifications are just extras to me.

4. Slumbercub thread starter macrumors regular

I thought QS was meant to learn as it goes along. The main problem I get is that when I envoke it and type in a string of letters for what I want it usually brings up a system preference, obscure script or some other useless piece of info. I then navigate to what I do want and it learns. However, it only seems to do this for application launching, something I can do just as fast in Spotlight and without error. It is when I try and use the more advanced functions such as moving files, emptying the trash, tagging files and the like it just goes nuts. That is when I get angry.

I suppose I am just one of those people that just don't get it. :(