What is wrong with my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kawixsiyu, Mar 10, 2010.

1. kawixsiyu macrumors member

My uMBP is 8 months old and has 33 cycles on the battery. Right now I am only using google chrome with 2 bars brightness and its telling me it will last for 2:17 min. Its currently at 93%. Bluetooth is off as well as the 9600m. Seems to me that it drains way too fast and charges way too slow. I did a full battery calibration last week and do them every couple months.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. kawixsiyu thread starter macrumors member

I have timed it a couple times before and have gotten 2.5 hours at most with just internet browsing and no flash.

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Any water damage? Humidity will reek havoc on your iPhone battery...sealed or not.

5. kawixsiyu thread starter macrumors member

I drained it to 0% and let it sit for 5 hours about 6 days ago. I will try resetting it with draining to 20%.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Sorry - I re-read your OP and edited my reply. Draining it to 0% is not a good idea. Although the batteries are not lead-acid, the ion lithium batteries will still dry and crystalize. The battery can over-heat and then you'll have REAL issues.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just for clarity, draining a battery to 20% is not the same as calibrating. Also, draining a battery to 20% does not "reset" it.
    Draining a battery to 0% is part of the calibration process, and IS a good idea. Your information is inaccurate.
    Calibrating a portable computer battery

8. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

hmm...I heard different. I'm still a newbie at the iPhone thing...but I'm an electrical engineer who specializes in various types of batteries. not trying to B.S. anyone, just letting you know that I understand the working of batteries.

My G1 battery resets at or around 20%.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This thread is not about iPhone batteries. It's about a MacBook Pro computer.

10. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's nothing wrong with your battery. If you have the removable battery, how long do you expect it to last? Theoretical time is 5 hours which is not going to happen. You should expect anywhere 3.5-4 hours. You might not be loading flash pages but internet browsing has a bigger load than say using Office or iLife. 2.5 hours with just web browsing I would say is within normal range.