Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kawixsiyu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Ventura, CA
My uMBP is 8 months old and has 33 cycles on the battery. Right now I am only using google chrome with 2 bars brightness and its telling me it will last for 2:17 min. Its currently at 93%. Bluetooth is off as well as the 9600m. Seems to me that it drains way too fast and charges way too slow. I did a full battery calibration last week and do them every couple months.

GadgetGeek71

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2010
Wherever I May Roam
Sorry - I re-read your OP and edited my reply. Draining it to 0% is not a good idea. Although the batteries are not lead-acid, the ion lithium batteries will still dry and crystalize. The battery can over-heat and then you'll have REAL issues.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just for clarity, draining a battery to 20% is not the same as calibrating. Also, draining a battery to 20% does not "reset" it.
Sorry - I re-read your OP and edited my reply. Draining it to 0% is not a good idea. Although the batteries are not lead-acid, the ion lithium batteries will still dry and crystalize. The battery can over-heat and then you'll have REAL issues.
Draining a battery to 0% is part of the calibration process, and IS a good idea. Your information is inaccurate.
Calibrating a portable computer battery

GadgetGeek71

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2010
Wherever I May Roam
hmm...I heard different. I'm still a newbie at the iPhone thing...but I'm an electrical engineer who specializes in various types of batteries. not trying to B.S. anyone, just letting you know that I understand the working of batteries.

My G1 battery resets at or around 20%.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hmm...I heard different. I'm still a newbie at the iPhone thing...but I'm an electrical engineer who specializes in various types of batteries. not trying to B.S. anyone, just letting you know that I understand the working of batteries.

My G1 battery resets at or around 20%.
This thread is not about iPhone batteries. It's about a MacBook Pro computer.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There's nothing wrong with your battery. If you have the removable battery, how long do you expect it to last? Theoretical time is 5 hours which is not going to happen. You should expect anywhere 3.5-4 hours. You might not be loading flash pages but internet browsing has a bigger load than say using Office or iLife. 2.5 hours with just web browsing I would say is within normal range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.