What is wrong with my internet!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pilotkid, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Hello to all! My internet is crawling, and it has been for the last week or so. At first I thought maybe my internet provider was having problems but I called them and they're not. When I say crawling see the speeds below, and that is the best result of five tests!!! I have completely reset my AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express to their factory setting and then configured my network again, same slow results. I have tried changing the channels that my network runs on, nothing. No microwaves near the router. Home phone is near the router its 5.8GHz. I have tried enabling Interface Robustness, nothing. I have no idea what to try next!!!
    Thanks for your help!!! Much appreciated.

ISP: Cox Communications High Speed Internet(Cable)

Modem: Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem(5+ years old)

Router(1): AirPort Extreme(Dual Band) connected to the modem via ethernet(CAT6)

Router(2): AirPort Express(802.11N) Used to extend my network range through out the house.

What connects to the network: MacBook Pro(2010), MacBook(2006), iPhone 3GS, Playstation 3(not used for games, only Blu-Ray)

If I am forgetting any important information just ask

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Connect directly to the modem. If you're experiencing the same speeds, you need a new modem. If not, then you can troubleshoot the routers more. My guess is it's the modem. 5+ years is getting up there.

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

For some reason I can not connect to the internet directly through my cable modem, it says something about a self IP address and then it says cannot be used to connect to the internet...? I can use the ethernet cable directly into my AirPort Exreme and I was getting between 4-5.75MBPS download. Isn't that still pretty low? I just read a article in the July edition of Macworld that said that cable users should expect aprox 20mbps. I used to get speeds like that and above(29bps was my max) about 6 months ago and like I said in my original post that has dropped off dramatically. I'm just trying to rule out everything before I buy a new modem.

4. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did just test my original MacBook(2006) and it got speeds very close to my MBP. However it is not 802.11n.

5. CainFool macrumors newbie

:'( Disconnect it? Or you could see if there is a application that is downloading something that is making your internet MEGA slow?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

You need to power cycle the modem if you change what's plugged into it.

even 802.11G is normally fast enough to handle most home internet connections in the US.

Cable is a shared network, if your neighbors are using a lot of bandwidth, it will affect you. If 6 months ago most of your neighbors didn't have cable modems, then you had the whole line to yourself.
    My numbers vary from day to day and within each day as well.

Also, if you're maxing out your upload, you will overwhelm your modem. If your doing anything like torrent, you need to cap your upload at 75% of the total speed.

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Thats normal speeds where you are located.

I have Road Runner Turbo and pay $75 a month for internet. If you are not paying that much than that is the normal speed you will get even with a new modem.

--Eric

8. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I didn't know I had to cycle the modem when I plug directly into it so I will do that tonight. I'm not sure what service my neighbors are using so that could be a potential slow down, but would I expect it to slow down to the point its at? As far as my internet usage its very light. I do emailing, basic web browsing, youtube(I was able to do 1080i videos about a week ago, now it stops every five seconds to load), and some podcast downloads from iTunes. Thats it, nothing to intense. I'm getting ready to leave for a month so I will see how my internet speeds are as I am traveling. If they're much better I'm going to see how my speeds are when I get home and buy a new modem. I can always return it if that doesnt fix it. In my original post I said it was five years old, now that I think about it, its at least 7-10 years old and probably more. It is the only modem I've had since cable internet became available years ago.