What Is Wrong With My iPhone 2G Battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neverbepeace, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Hey!

I have the iPhone 2G on Tmo. Recently, my battery has been acting weird. Today has been the weirdest though. I fully charged my battery and unplugged it around 1130am. Fast forward to now....I got 8 hours on standby and 4 hours of usage. I left the phone on the dresser at 20%. Came back up stairs (about 5 minutes) and it was at 4%:eek:

So I grabbed the cable and began charging the phone through the macbook....when the phone came back on...it was at 8%. 2 minutes later, it went to 32%....1 minutes later it went to 40%. It's been charging for almost an hour now and its at 72%. What the heck is this about? Anybody have any suggestions I could try or do?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

That is a 3 year old battery isn't it? Have you always heavily used it? Might just be time for a new battery.

4. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I just bought the phone 2 days ago. This is the second time I let it drain completely.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Make sure you charge it completely to 100%, then drain it all the way down to 0, then charge it back to 100%.

I'm going to go with the fact that the battery is old and needs to be replaced.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Bought it where? (Craigslist/eBay doesn't count)

7. Bleak macrumors member

I think the problem with the phone is that you still have it.

8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

9. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I guess you guys are right.....I'll probably try and sell it. How much is it to replace a iPhone 2G battery anyway?

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

How much does it cost?
    Service arranged through Apple costs $79. A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

How do I arrange iPhone Battery Replacement Service?
    Battery replacement service may be arranged via the Online Service Assistant, Apple Technical Support, or your local Apple Retail Store. Please do not send any accessories with your iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

A problem like this is why I'm always hesitant to buy any used iPhone 2G off Craigslist. After reading this thread, I guess I will save my money for something else. I saw one in great condition for $100. Comes with the original box. Want to get it for my parents as an iPod. But I may just end up paying almost double just to replace the battery. Might as well get an iPod touch 4 brand new. The battery is what keeps its life going. Without one, it is just a pretty paperweight.

That's why I like the 4 so much. Easy to manually replace the battery compared to all the previous iPhones and iPods. The iPhone 2G might be the most durable, but it is so enclosed. I would rather have an easier way to replace a battery than have a durable back that is either expensive to replace a battery or a PITA to replace it ourselves.

iPhone 2G battery replacement -
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=sYHnr89HMPo

12. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Your best bet is either going to be replacing the battery, or selling the 2G and putting the money into a new iPhone.

13. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Im actually selling it tomorrow.....now I don't know if I should go for another iPhone 2G or try to find a cheap 3G. I love the 2G look......is it worth it to get another? I do not want to replace the battery for $100...that is ridiculous. I would just buy another 2G in hopes of the battery lasting another year or so...until my finances change.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can buy 20 original iPhones, they were all manufactured in 2007, they're all going to have old batteries.

15. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

It's only 2 years old....:D

Plus, the iPhone 2G is still better then more then half of these other smart phones releasing lately.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I love the sell the iPhone with the bad battery solution.

What your saying is that the solution is to find some other sucker to unload your ancient iPhone off on.

Then in a couple of weeks we'll have him on here asking the same question, getting the same answers.

That owner will again dump it and in a few more weeks we will go through it again and again and again.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its 3 years old thats what. The battery is usually the first component to go in any consumer electronic. Par for the course.

18. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

My 2g battery is still going strong, so not all iphone 2gs are dead.

19. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Great to hear.......i was going to go with a blackberry 9000.....but i feel i might get bored with it.

20. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech