What is wrong with my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by clockwatching, Jun 8, 2010.

1. clockwatching macrumors newbie

Ok, so I just got an iPhone and I am VERY confused.
    I got one yesterday but it was wierd so my dad gave it back. Today he got me a new one and it seemed okay, but then I was trying to figure out which generation I had (which I couldn't do with the other iPhone) and I really don't know.
    Someone said my iPhone might be fake.
    Just so you know, I did NOT buy it in an Apple Store because we don't have it where I live. I bought in a store that sells only phones.

1. The phone is black, 32 GB, has a camera, and the text in the back is written in a greyish color (it's not white like other iPhones).
    2. It only has the volume button on the side. To lock the phone I use the home button (also to turn it on / off).
    3. When I unlock it, no clock shows up on the wallpaper or the menu where it should be. This might be some setting that can be changed but I can't find it anywhere.
    4. On the menu, there are 3 collumns down and 4 to the right, and then there is a collumn underneath those that says "Phone, SMS, Dial, Multimedia".
    On all the other iphones I've googled it shows something like "Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod". I guess you could change that on iTunes, but I'm not sure how.
    5. Speaking of iTunes, I cannot connect the iphone to it. It does show up on my computer but not on iTunes. I've reinstalled the program but it still doesn't work. I have the updated version and it should work.
    6. The box that it came with was slightly wierd. It does look like the box it should come in (http://www.macsimumnews.com/images/uploads/iphone_box.jpg) but it doesn't say iPhone or have the apple logo on the sides. Just a picture of the phone (which btw looks CORRECT, 4 collumns vertical and horizontal, Phone, Mail, Safari and iPod on the lowest collumn and it shows the clock at the top).
    In the box it came with the iphone (obviously), really bad quality earphones - at least I think they are, one of them broke almost instantly but it could be because my dad used them before, but they do not look like apples earphones at all - the USB cable that doesn't look like it should (it's short at the bottom, not long and big like the iPod and other iPhones) and just a piece of paper that said "3G Lengthened edition" with some useless stuff.
    7. It also came with a pen (you know, the ones you use for touch screens) inside the phone. I didn't even know you could get that on iPhones.
    6. It also came with a sock thing to put your iPhone in. Maybe I'm being totally paranoid and stupid but the way they wrote iPhone doesn't look right...

I feel like such a noob but I need to know: is this a fake iPhone?
    I thought that maybe it would be in a different packaging and stuff because I don't live in the US and I didn't buy in the Apple Store.
    But the whole OS on the phone looks different! I've searched on youtube and google but I just can't find a similar one. Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm kind of freaking out now. FAKE OR NOT?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

That is a fake. There is no "dial" or "multimedia" apps. Itunes doesn't recognize your iphone = fake. And the iphone doesn't come with a pen. Should have a button in addition to the volume buttons on the side. The home button does not lock the phone on a real iphone, nor does it turn the phone on and off.

3. clockwatching thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I should've known that, lol.
    I'm going to talk to my parents and go to the store and try to fix it.

I also forgot to add that when I push the apps down it makes a SUPER LOUD and annoying sound and then it goes back to normal. It doesn't even matter if I have really low sound on it, it makes this weird sound anyway. The same exact thing happened with the other iPhone I got yesterday.
    And the iPhone only works reasonably well if I use the pen, if I use my finger it doesn't work good at all. It's slow and it froze a couple of times.