What is wrong with my Iphone4 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iag48, Sep 29, 2010.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    I need a little help. My iphone 4 is having problems but I am not able to detect what is the issue. During a phone call I can hear the other person but they cannot hear anything from my side. However, if I switch to speaker mode, they can hear me clearly!
    At first I thought it was the carrier H2O Wireless but I doubt it since it works perfect with speaker mode on.

Any suggestions?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a softare issue but it might also be hardware.
    Restore the phone thru itunes and setup as new.
    If it still does it again then bring it to Apple to get a replacement.

3. smg30 macrumors newbie

Maybe you are having the proximity sensor problem and accidentally muting your call. Next time check the mute button. Do you know if you've had proximity sensor issues? Are you running iOS 4.1?

4. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on 4.1 and have no issues with the proximity sensor. Interesting enough, I opened the Voice app and tried to record a message and the needle would not move, unless I blew into the mic. Surprisingly, when playing back the message I could hear EVERYTHING through speaker or receiver!

So weird!

5. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the genius could not fix the problem, so they gave me a replacement. I hesitant to upgrade to 4.1. I fear that was my problem...

6. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

Sensor tests

You might want to check out these 5 video tests of how the proximity sensor can be easily made to let the screen turn on at very short distances:

http://picturehawaii.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

If your phone presently isn't having a problem, it would be nice to have you copy the third test down the screen so we can tell how yours differs.

Also, should you later upgrade to 4.1, a comparison test would also be helpful.

And if 4.1 screws it up, that comparison might be even more interesting!

7. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

8. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

9. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help guys but the genius bar replaced my iphone. He said that the problem was definitely software related and not hardware. They were unable to pinpoint the cause of the problem.
    Thanks again.