Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What is wrong with my Mac Pro?

maxcaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Hey guys! A few months ago I would have some wierd artifact-ing whenever I would play/edit video or work on photos in lightroom. At first I played it off as an OS X glitch, but it got to the point where the computer was unusable and would crash almost instantly. It seemed my video card was bad.

I replaced it with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 and the problem was solved! After a while I noticed I had another (different) kind of artifact-ing. This seemed more random and when it would appear my computer was unusable instantly. Mouse/cursor would still move and sound would play, but that was it nothing else. No clicking either.

I tried memtest and it passed, checked my disk for errors and found none. The only other thing I can think of is I have yet another bad video card or I have a bad logic board... :(

It seemed at first that plugging in a bunch of things to USB ports would trigger it, but that might have been coincidental. And the thing is, it will run great for a few days then be unusable for a few hours until I can recycle power a few times.

Here are some photos

Any help is appreciated. I live 150 miles from the nearest Apple store, and at the moment (while the computer is still somewhat usable) I can't afford the hole in my wedding workflow). It's most likely going to be replaced with an iMac anyway... Whenever they are updated. If I could pickup a logic board somewhere and swap it in (if that is what it is) I would love that.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have had similar problems and suspected they were heat related. When I removed the video card and shot some compressed air through the fan/heat sinks a whole load of "stuff" came shooting out. When I replaced the card, the video once again was fine for another year or so.

You might check to see if your video card has sucked in a lot of dust and the cooling is clogged.

-howard

Comment

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Yea, I too think the video card might be going up. Take some compressed air and try to clean the fans. If that doesnt work then you will need a new card.

Comment

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I have had similar problems and suspected they were heat related. When I removed the video card and shot some compressed air through the fan/heat sinks a whole load of "stuff" came shooting out. When I replaced the card, the video once again was fine for another year or so.

You might check to see if your video card has sucked in a lot of dust and the cooling is clogged.

-howard

If that is the case, the machine probably requires an internal cleaning. It is an older model.

Comment

maxcaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I sure hope the card hasn't gone bad yet, it's literally a month old now. I will take some compressed air to it tomorrow. The case itself is very clean, but the box IS in a very hot room, and we've had an abnormally warm summer to boot.

Comment

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I sure hope the card hasn't gone bad yet, it's literally a month old now. I will take some compressed air to it tomorrow. The case itself is very clean, but the box IS in a very hot room, and we've had an abnormally warm summer to boot.

At a month old wouldn't it be under warranty?

Comment

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Clean out the PSU too, you may get weird things happening when they are on the edge.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.