What is wrong with my MacBook Pro trackpad CLICK BUTTON?!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by optimus prime, Oct 1, 2007.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

ok so my trackpad button is sounding WAY different right now.

it sounds like it sorta click's twice. not exactly twice but it sounds different. sounds like something that it shouldnt. it's loud and ugly lol. it's usually only when i click the top half of the button and not the bottom half. when i click the bottom half it sound sok but when i click the upper half it sounds really loud and weird. it functions alright but it just sounds horrible and doesnt feel good to the touch. anyone else experience this?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you been eating near your laptop recently? Maybe some food got jammed in there...

3. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

i tried blowing on top of the trackpad and under the trackpad by taking hte battery out, it stops for like 15 clicks. and after that it goes back to normal gradually.

4. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I had the same problem with my old 17" powerbook, i sounded just as you have described and the button was a bit 'wobbly'. But then it stopped after some time.. :confused:

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have the same problem. I'm convinced it's because my wife thinks a clickpad is a slam-your-thumb-on-the-button-to-get-it-to-work-pad.

It happens if I'm on the left side of the button. Rather annoying.

6. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I just checked again on my powerbook.. I still have the issue, but not as loud as before.. Also on the left side of the click button.

I got used to it while it occured.. I think its more annoying when people constantly poke your display when pointing on something :rolleyes:

7. theman macrumors 6502a

just send in some ants, they will take care of the crumbs you spilled in there.

8. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

So how will you get the ants out afterwards? They will get fried in the MBPs. Well at least in mine - it gets pretty hot most of the time :D

9. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

The macbook I bought for my dad had the same problem after about a year of use. Went to apple store and they took care of everything. Try calling applecare or stopping at the Genius Bar.

10. rjt macrumors newbie

11. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

An anteater. Duh.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, but how do you coax the anteater out when it's done? ;)

13. seanneko macrumors member

This is a known issue. It's not caused by things falling under the button, it just happens by itself due to poor build quality. Mine started doing it within 3 days of purchase.

I don't know if Apple will fix it under warranty, I guess you could try. I just live with it.

14. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Mountain lions simply love anteater meat. I'd use one of them.

15. binaryspazz macrumors member

I had this problem after one week of owning my MBP

I even took it to a genius at the store, which it didn't happen while i had it there. They didn't do anything at the time.

However, i've noticed it happens when its more humid than normal. Nothing has ever been spilled on mine. And its something i've had to deal with for several months now, off and on. It's very intermittent concern. it still works fine, the feed back is just different, and frustrating.

i've described it to my friends as a crunch type click.

sucks

16. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

exactly! but it's the opposite for me. it seems like it works better when it's humid and worse when its dry. i actually blow into the crack of the click button and it works for about 10 clicks and then it starts again.

i've noticed when i keep my mbp out, that's when it happens, but if im traveling with it in my incase neoprene case, when i take it out it's perfectly fine. i want to take it to the apple store but i know it's gonna be fine. so idk what to do:(

17. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I had that too.... Firstly, take our your battery and see if that helps, my battery was pushing up on the underside of the trackpad causing it to function poorly...

appart from that, it was still functioning in a 'double clicking' way, so i had it replaced under applecare... it works great now.

18. vultureparade macrumors member

haha, my girlfriend is the same way. But so far her iBook is holding up to the beatings.

19. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! this is still really annoying... :mad:

20. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

I took mine in to the shop and they replaced the top case. The tech agreed that it shouldn't be loose and especially given how new it was.

21. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

same for my C2D MBP, it seems to work fine now after about a month of heavy use. never effected performance to begin with, so I would just let it go for now. I chose to avoid getting it repaired since i had read all the horror tales of shoddy repairs.

22. juanmantoya macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem. I removed the battery and blew some air in from behind... it seems to have worked. I used a little hand-air-blower that I got from a camera store. It looks like a turkey baster, or those things they use for getting snot out of a baby's nose.

The battery is very slightly swollen. The crunchy double-click was on the right side of the button.

23. furasshu macrumors newbie

24. dndandrea macrumors 6502

not gonna lie but i actually prefer the old macbook trackpad / clicker because it was completely silent whenever i clicked. this one you can here from the other side of the house.

25. cyberone macrumors regular

Those loud trackpads haven't been sold yet, obviously. But not all 17ers have them, just some. Really annoying. Stopped me from buying a latest MBP - returned three of them, Apple was unable to provide a MBP with at least only one loud click. But two! Impossible.