What is wrong with my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dawkin$, Aug 16, 2011.

1. dawkin$ macrumors newbie

I appreciate all help that anyone apart of the forum can provide me with, even the smallest bit of information.

I bought my Macbook in September of 2010.

A few months ago my Macbook was working fine; I was using it sometime in the night and closed it down before going to bed. When I woke up my Macbook was acting quite strange leading to its current condition. First of all the computer is not reading the battery. I can only use my macbook when it's plugged in via its wall charger. If the charger comes out, the Macbook automatically shuts down.

I also have my hard drive partitioned with Bootcamp, Windows XP. Whenever I boot to my Mac side it's really laggy and basically un-usuable. This has forced me to use Bootcamp for the past few months (which, might I add, works perfectly fine). When i try to load into Mac it also takes an insane amount of time on the booting screen. The only time it's even SOMEWHAT, but still barely, useable is when I boot it into safe mode.

The fan is always on, and loud, as soon as the computer is turned on.

I assume that this is something hardware-related, and I was wondering what options I have as far as getting my Macbook fixed. I need it for my upcoming university semester and me being on vacation is what prevented me from taking action towards the problem earlier. Is there someway I can get Apple to fix it for me or possibly replace the hardware, or the laptop. It has not been a year since I purchased my Macbook (which I purchased at Best Buy).

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Easily. They'll generally work with you to figure out what the problem is and if it needs fixing, send you a box to send it to them in. They're generally pretty fast about it. Just don't send it post office (if you're in the U.S.). Just one question though: You don't hold the power button to shut down, right?

3. dawkin$ thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Canada.
    And usually nope, I either just close the top down or I actually press shut down. Only every now and then did I shut it down by holding the power button down.

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Well, holding down the button can cause damage in rare cases, although if it's rare then that probably isn't the problem... Don't know. :eek:

5. dawkin$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that shouldn't be the cause of the problem. I've been taught not to do that lol.

So I'm ready to make an appointment with one of the Apple Geniuses and it says that before I go in I should back up my data.

In my case how would I go about backing up some selected files/folders that I want and where would I back it up.

6. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

It depends on how much data you're backing up. If it's under 2GB, I'd make a dropbox account and send your files there, if it's more, you could get a cheap flash drive and back up to that. If you want to go the complete backup route, there's always time machine and an external hard drive.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

You are under the 1 year mark and have a warranty, why don't you simply use it(the warranty)?

8. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Exactly, don't understand why you lived with this for months when a trip to an Apple store would have had you sorted in a day :confused: