What is wrong with my MBP? PICS included

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So i have 2.2 SR MPB 2GB.
    Right now i have 2 tabs in safari open, itunes, mail, and transmission and its mad sow. The thing that pisses me off is when i hover over the dock there is a bad frame rate lag.

edit

2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Looks like you have serious problems. Even the text is getting distorted. Look at the name in the upper right hand corner. Fiasal Yaqub? What was it supposed to say?

3. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

maybe thats his name?

4. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Obviously the window server is taking up way too much CPU. Try a restart to see if that fixes the problem. If not I have no idea what to do but someone here probably will.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Firstly, restart your computer and check that the problem does not reoccur right away. If it doesn't, wait until it does again, and mind your actions as you wait. Then if it occurs again, you'll know what may have triggered it.

In either case, you might want to repair permissions. Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select your disk, and click repair permissions. Do this while nothing else is running, then restart.

Also, in activity monitor, where everything says "Intel" - check that column for PowerPC.

FYI, iCal is also running in those screenshots, although that should be irrelevant here.

Exposure to cultures other than your own might do you well.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

:confused:

Actually, it looks like your Window Server process is using a lot of CPU time. Does it persist after a reboot?

Edit: Wow - beat to the punch (post)

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I think the text on the top right is his name.

There does not seem to be anything messy running in the activity monitor. OP, can you please elaborate on the issue that you are having? As others have mentioned, try performing a restart of your machine and see if the problem persists.

8. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I restarted but after some time the compute gets sluggish again.

Theres just a slight delay after scrolling up/down pages and hovering over the dock.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Did you try any of the other things people suggested?

10. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

what is kernal_task and why is it taking up so much RAM?

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

check your hard drive space. Make sure you lots free.

Repair permissions.

Try runnin it without iTunes.

check for any updates using software update.

Try runnin it without transmission..

Check each result and the one that gives you the biggest improvement is the culprit.

12. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

i repaired permissions and just restarted and nothing is open except safari (1 tab) and activity monitor.

WindowServier is from 40-70 cpu.

13. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

14. G4DP macrumors 65816

Turn off windows server, that would be the main thing to eliminate. Go through everything one by one and see what happens.

15. lizard51 macrumors newbie

lizard51

Long shot but...fonts? Are u doing design work and have lots of fonts on your system which are open? Extensis Suitcase should help.

May not be relevant but just trying to help.

16. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

ok, restart your computer like you would normally (just restart). when you get to your desktop, don't do anything except check activity monitor, making sure no other apps are open. Wait there for a little while to see if windowserver starts using the CPU a lot. if your CPU usage is still 40-70 (which is abnormal), then force quit windowserver.

Based on my MBP, which has similar specs to yours, windowserver is using 1.6%-3% CPU. This is with Safari (5 tabs), preview, PSCS3, mail and activity monitor open.

Also, if windowserver DOES end up using 40-70% CPU after your restart, check to see if you have any programs running in the background that might be crashing without you knowing. Like a virus scanner or something. I once had similar problems and it was always with my virus scanner running in the background hanging up and the system wouldn't tell me.

Also downloading Istat Menus is helpful I find, in monitoring your CPU usage and temps:
    http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28

Whenever your comp gets sluggish, it's because of two reasons, one, your cpu is being used way too much by something, and two, your ram is very low. For you it is definitely the CPU.

17. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I just restarted my computer and ran activity monitor with no programs running and windowsserver was ranging from 20-80 CPU.

18. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

That's too much, force quit it and see what happens.