What is wrong with my MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andrewpoll, May 30, 2010.

1. andrewpoll macrumors newbie

I am having some trouble with my 2.33ghz MPB. Its about 3.5 years old now now and has recently just started freezing randomly. Its quite weird but sometimes the machine will run fine for hours at a time and then sometimes it will freeze within minutes for booting up and do it a few times in a row. It also freezes irrespective of what I'm doing, one program or activity doesn't seem to cause it. When it does freeze there is often a screen glitch, sometimes half the screen will go weird colors but most of the time the computer will freeze (although music keeps on playing sometime) and the trackpad and keyboard become unresponsive. Allot of the time there are a few parallel gray lines that appear just below the curser. Once it freezes i have to do a force shutdown. When i reboot the it doesn't always boot up properly, about 30% of the time it goes past the apple logo and gets stuck on the grey screen.

I took the computer in to an apple repair center and they checked it out. they said there were some corrupt system files (which they claimed to fix) and they said they did a hardware check and everything is fine. The computer did seem to better when i got it back from them but it started acting up again soon afterwards. I have tried reinstalling snow leopard but the freezing started happening again.

I have had a few strange things happen after a reboot like the spotlight reindexing i have also had the dock change completely (different icons, hiding and magnification turning off)

If anyone has any ideas of what is going on with it or how i can maybe fix it that would be a huge help

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried doing a clean install and not installing anything and seeing if it still persists? Have you repaired permissions and verified the disk with Disk Utility? Ran hardware check? Reseted PRAM and SMC?

Instructions http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot

3. andrewpoll thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried all of those thing apart from the hardware test which ill give a try now.