What is wrong with my Microsoft Word 08!!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brian9271, Sep 23, 2008.

1. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Usually when I do work in Microsoft Word 08 it quits when I save, this is like the 30th time, everytime I have a big file, infact not really a big file, just a image or so, it just quits, this is VERY ANNOYING :mad:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which model Mac?
    Which version MacOS X?
    Which version Word 08?
    How much RAM?
    How large hard drive?
    Why large files?
    What size large files?

3. Diaresi macrumors regular

Is it fully patched?
    Have you messed around with the installation (moving it/removing languages etc.)?
    Are you working with .doc files or .docx files?

4. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I have a similar problem with Word 08. Every time I copy a picture from Preview into Word and want to save it as a Word file, Word crashes. I can only save it as a pdf.

Office:mac 08 (current SP)
    Mac OS 10.5.5
    File size <1 MB

5. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Mac OS X Version 10.5

Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

18.94 GB left out of 111.47 GB.

Working with .doc not .docx

Dared not to mess with the installation

Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac
    Version 12.0.0

6. kevo0822 macrumors regular

Well at this point, I think Office is at 12.1.2... And these updates were huge... so maybe you should update...

7. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

You're right, but errr... how would I update, I just opened software update but no Office update was there...:confused:?...

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you mean that Microsoft AutoUpdate found nothing after you clicked the Check for Updates button? If this is the case, then download the updater from Microsoft's website.

9. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You mean going to the Apple menu, then checking Software Update? That only covers Apple apps, not third-party apps. To run Microsoft AutoUpdate, go to any Office app, click on the Help menu, then on Check for Updates.

You're at 12.0.0, so you'll need to do this three times: once to get to 12.1.0, then 12.1.1, and finally 12.1.2.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

10. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

You gotta be kidding me :eek:
    :D

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Nope, MS doesn't understand why Apple has two update packages, the single and the combo. combo just means multiple updates sucked into one install package..

12. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know. :/

It's a trade-off. If we create just a combo updater, the people who keep up with their updates all the time get upset because they're just downloading stuff that they've already installed. If we just create an incremental updater, then people who haven't been good about updating get caught having to run the update a few times. We roll up all of our incremental updates into a combo one every few updates. We're looking at ways to improve the process in the future.

If you don't want to get stuck having to run multiple updates in a row in the future, in any Office app, go to the Help menu, then in the resulting "Check for Updates" window, set it to check automatically. Personally, I've got my Macs at home set up to check for downloads monthly. That way, you'll get the updates when they're released. We've been releasing updates to fix issues and improve performance pretty regularly, so keeping up with the latest is a pretty good idea.

Regards,
    Nadyne.