What is wrong with my microsoft word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martinchivers, May 5, 2012.

1. martinchivers macrumors regular

I have an iMac (intel – 10.6.8) & have Microsoft word (2011) 14.2.1.

My problem is that I have a document (.docx), with various text boxes. When moving or changing the proportions of one txt box, word suddenly massively moves some or all of the other boxes into a jumble. I have to undo or put them all back into place. It happens with lots of different docs, not just one. This is driving me mad! Any suggestions of what to do?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried restarting your computer? Does it do this on all documents, or just one? If just one, have you tried re-creating the document?

3. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

I have/do restart the computer, yes. But not at the specific time it happens.

Yes, it does it on a few documents. But seams to be intermittent. I have one particular document that is affected badly. Its as if there is something tying the boxes together with some invisible thread! There is no rime or reason to it, A text box should (I believe) be independent to another text box. Weird!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your problem is generic to Microsoft Word--both Windows and Mac--going back many versions. It is not limited to Word 2011. If this document was created by others, then you have to deal with it. If this is a document of your creation, then my advice to you is to chill with the text boxes. One or two are OK. However, dealing with more than one or two may be beyond your skill level.

5. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

nothing to do with skill level!

I have been using word (on a PC) for 10 years. There is no reason why moving or readjusting ratios, would cause the these boxes to go quite this mad!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have a sample Word document you can post that has the problem you're describing, that others can test? I'm using Office 2008, but I'd be happy to test it, anyway.

7. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

yes...

hi. yes I have a particular doc, that I am happy for anybody to look at, however, Not sure how to go about "posting" it!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This shows how to post a pic, but a doc works the same way. Just click the [​IMG] when you're creating a post to add a file.

9. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

didnt work!

I tried to do this, but it will not upload it. It is a dot docx (not dot doc)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just change the extension to .doc for the upload. I can change it back.

11. martinchivers, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

lets see...

hope this works...

appreciate it.

So when highlighting to move, and move often another unrelated box will move. the boxes are NOT grouped.

martin

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hold the Shift key and select all text boxes, then right-click and select "Format Text Box...". On the Layout tab, select "In front of text" and click OK. Now you can move each box independently.

I recommend you now edit your post to remove the attachment. Click Edit, then Go Advanced, then click the down arrow by the paperclip icon and select Manage Attachments. Where you see your attachment listed under Current Attachments, click Remove and OK and save your changes to your post.

13. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

havent tried it, but WILL DO! Brilliant, thank you very much, for all your help, appreciate it!!!

martin

14. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

thanks again......

I removed it.

I have done what you said, it totally jumbled them again, but once repositioned back, appear to be fully independent of one another. How did you work it out?

Did it happen, when you looked at my version to?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't have Office 2011 installed, but on 2008 it works. So are you saying that you're now able to move them independently?

16. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

yes, they now seem to move 100% independently. Before they would intermittently, jumble when moving one of the boxes for absolutely no logical reason whatsoever! All I have to do now is remember how to do it in future!!!

thanks again Martin

17. bkap16 macrumors member

Computers don't do things "for absolutely no logical reason whatsoever". Text boxes in word default to being in-line with text. If you expand a text box, in that mode, it pushes the text around it away which will also push the text box. Both "In Front of Text" and "Behind Text" will stop the text boxes from being impacted by or impacting text position, so the text boxes won't get moved around.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They were rearranging to accommodate your layout selection, as each move affected the other items. By selecting "behind text" or "in front of text", you can move items independently, without it trying to reformat the page.

19. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

brilliant. thanks. I never would have sussed that myself!